Talk me down from the ledge....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scampbellatc

Reaction score
This is only my second batch ever and just a little concern with the fermentation. I had a vial of White labs and didn't realize how much pressure builds when you shake it.....hard. Sprayed what seemed to be about half of it on the floor, but managed to get the other half into the carboy. Took almost 3 days before I saw any activity and I've had it in thee for almost 3 weeks. I got a good krausen, but no airlock activity (which I know is not a good indicator of fermentation). The krausen had just about dissipated so I did a gravity reading and tasted what I pulled out....it did not taste all that good.

My question - is it infected or does it just need more time?

Sorry for all of that and then only a short question.

Cheers!

After 3 weeks it should taste like beer. It might seem a little sweet and thick in the mouthfeel because of the lack of CO2. Once carbonated, it will get better in that respect.

When you say it does not taste all that good, what do you mean it tastes like?

It will improve with age. A lot actually, in the first month. It also depends on what you made. Dark beers need more time and you don't want to drink them fresh. I'm sure it will be fine, but just to be sure, you might want to open your first bottle on the porch to make sure it doesn't splay off on you. I very much doubt that it's infected though.

It tastes like skunky beer. My first batch just tasted like flat beer. Pretty good flat beer at that. This one has an off flavor.

Should I let it sit any longer, or do you think it's good to go for bottling? And it is a Pale wheat ale (Bells Oberon clone). Just don't want to bottle too early and have to deal with exploding bottles. Thanks guys!

I didn't know the trick of getting the hydrometer through the bubbles by spinning it, so I didn't get the OG, but the poster of the recipe stated it should be about 1.057 with the FG being 1.014. My reading today was 1.018.

And the smell come out of the airlock is amazing. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. If I were just doing all grain and didn't have to purchase expensive extract, I probably wouldn't make such a big deal out of it....plus I was really looking forward to this batch.

My guess (this is my guess and I don't know what I am talking about half the time) is you underpitched causing the off flavors. Half a vial for a 5 gallon batch is a bit short. Hence 3 days to see signs of fermentation. The yeast had to get their numbers up first.

Take another gravity reading in a couple days. If it hasn't moved, it's done and you can bottle it up.

The first batch I did had the same problem with the yeast. It took about a week longer then I thought to ferment but still came out alright. If you give it time it should turn out alright.

Count me in the "should turn out fine after aging works its magic" crowd.

Quick questions - while in the carboy did you let air in after the fermentation activity slowed down, possible while checking gravity readings or poking around inspecting it? Second, was the carboy in direct sunlight at all during the 3 week period?

I am not an expert on the nuances of beer flavors and the causes of off flavors, but I was under the impression that "skunky" beer flavors can often be attributed to oxidation, which can occur through exposure to oxygen in the headspace, or by UV light. Just my initial thoughts.

My guess (this is my guess and I don't know what I am talking about half the time) is you underpitched causing the off flavors. Half a vial for a 5 gallon batch is a bit short.

I agree. Even a moderate-gravity ale would require at least 160 billion cells for a 5 gallon batch. A perfectly-viable vial of yeast would have 100 billion cells, so it's safe to assume yours was somewhat less than that. If it was 80% viable, and you lost half of it, then in actuality you only pitched around 40 billion cells, or 25% of what you should have pitched.

My diagnosis is the yeast was severely stressed from being asked to multiply so dramatically, and produced off-flavours.

Next time, make a starter, or pitch 2 vials of yeast (without spilling ;) ).

Yep, you didn't put enough yeast in. Little guys got stressed in your gravity reading of 1.056 I think is what I read. That's what I would suggest first. What was your...

-grain to water mash ratio? Did you use 1.25qts water per pound of grain?
-mash temps?
-mash time? My neighbor once walked away after being done with his batch and came back hours later for the boil. Tasted bad.
-sunlight? Skunky flavor is a result of this.

Bottle it if FG was consistent for a few days. Bottle prime and then cold condition for awhile and there is a decent chance this lagering process might help the flavor clean up some.

I figured it was under pitched, but wasn't sure if that ruined it, or if it just needed a LOT longer to ferment. Didn't touch it once I got it in the carboy and I have it wrapped in a blanket (no sunlight). Yesterday was first gravity test (2 1/2 weeks into fermentation).

Back