using 5 lb oxygen tank for aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubiconbrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at building an aeration system since all the systems seem to only use disposable tanks.

The problem is I can't find the regulator that I need for a 5 lb o2 tank. Does anyone have this set up or know the regulator that I'm looking for?

Getting a tank and diffusion stone will be easy.

The cost will be high up front but it would pay for itself over time, I'd think.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: Looking at building an aeration system since all systems seem to only accept disposable tanks*

Maybe I don't understand what you are going for here, but all you have to do is remove the disposable bottle adapter from the end of the tubing and connect it to the regulator of your choice. Or alternatively, just purchase the tubing and diffusion stone and put them on the medical regulator. You can add a filter inline if you want but absolutely nothing can survive in pure O2 so it's not necessary to have a filter. A popular approach is a medical O2 bottle. They have a bead flow indicator that lets you dial in the flow you want. They look like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-M...793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd9f09291

Why wouldn't a standard CO2 regulator like people use in their kegerators not work?

If you already have one then you can buy an adaptor (cheaper than whole regulator) that will convert the O2 cylinder fitting to a CO2 fitting.

Out of curiosity. Where do u get an O2 tank? I could not source one myself when trying to do the same as you. So I gave up and use a wine degasser hooked up to a drill. Not as good.

The CO2 regulators don't fit on O2 cylinders. You do NOT want to be feeding O2 into a lot of the places you would be using CO2 (and vice versa), so it's a critical safety measure.

You can get the big O2 tanks at pretty much any welding supply store. Those fit the reg that I posted above. There are also the little red or yellow O2 tanks that you can buy at most any hardware store. The "regulator" (it's really just a valve) for that can be bought from many different homebrew shops.

Out of curiosity. Where do u get an O2 tank? I could not source one myself when trying to do the same as you. So I gave up and use a wine degasser hooked up to a drill. Not as good.

Thanks for the reply, Airgas has them I believe, I noticed ebay sells them too. I'll go with airgas before that though.

Why wouldn't a standard CO2 regulator like people use in their kegerators not work?
Any equipment designed for use in a pure O2 environment must be O2 cleaned. Basically, any oils or anything that could combust must be removed. Things that wouldn't normally spontaneously combust will in pure O2.

I use the same kind of O2 tank for brewing. Go on Amazon and look up "540CGA oxygen regulator". I got the $30 one and some medical tubing to fit. Works great.

Back