Water Profile for Fruit Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
I am doing a peach beer and was curious if anyone had a good water profile for that. I am starting from RO water bought from the store. I am using Maris Otter, Crystal 50-60, and Biscuit Malt.
Thanks

A very modest mineralization is recommended. That will be a delicate beer and you wouldn't want or need much mineralization that could cover up the flavors. I suggest that something like the Yellow profiles in Bru'n Water might be suitable.

A very modest mineralization is recommended. That will be a delicate beer and you wouldn't want or need much mineralization that could cover up the flavors. I suggest that something like the Yellow profiles in Bru'n Water might be suitable.

I just started using that program so I will have to play around with it some. Thanks.

This is what I came up with using 100% dilluted with RO water.

Calcium (ppm) - 52
Magnesium (ppm) - 7
Sodium (ppm) - 8
Sulfate (ppm) - 98
Chloride (ppm) - 42
Bicarbonate (ppm) - 16

Hardness - 157
Alkalinity - 13
RA - -28
SO4/CL Ratio - 2.31
pH - 5.3

That looks fine. I do think you will like a lower pH like the 5.3 that you are indicating for this beer. The beer will be crisp and tart and will work well with the peach.

That looks fine. I do think you will like a lower pH like the 5.3 that you are indicating for this beer. The beer will be crisp and tart and will work well with the peach.

Thanks for the help. I had one more question. You know when it states the SO4/CL Ratio, well can you break down what that exactly means? What are the numbers that those should be at for the different styles of beer?

Even with such a high sulfate level? You're the expert of course, I'm just surprised that much added sulfate wouldn't impact the flavor.

I was able to get the Sulfate down within the Target Water Adjustments...This is what I have now.,

Calcium (ppm) - 48
Magnesium (ppm) - 7
Sodium (ppm) - 8
Sulfate (ppm) - 74
Chloride (ppm) - 52
Bicarbonate (ppm) - 16

Hardness - 147
Alkalinity - 13
RA - -25
SO4/CL Ratio - 1.41
pH - 5.3

Ah I didn't catch the sulfate level, thanks Lorena. Yes, the 98 ppm sulfate level might be a little dry for a fruit beer. Even the second attempt with 74 ppm might be pushing it. I'd suggest keeping the sulfate in the 50 ppm range and have the chloride more like 75 ppm.

Back