Temp. Probe wiring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im_Lars

Reaction score
A friend gave me three temp. probes, not sure if they are RTD (pictured below).

20130125_101951.jpg

I thought i read before I said yes to the probes that I can wire a 4 wire probe to a 3 wire XLR connector. I searched HBT and Google and couldn't find anything. For some reason hooking the two white wires together was the answer. Can anyone help?

What does the tag on them say? knowing exactly what they are would help. They could be 4 wires or they could be duplex thermocouples (each color pair is one sensor, 2 sensors for redundancy or overtemp control)

I finally got someone at Watlow tech support on the phone and they verified what I thought. It is a RTD thermocoupler and I can hook the two white (neg.) together.

I'm using the same probes. I think they were over $100 new but there was a seller on eBay selling them for $15. He sold out fast at that price. They will work fine. The probe length is adjustable as well

SCORE!!!! Those are sweet. I never have thought about that type of covering on the wires. Hey JRems, what key word(s) did you use to find them on DBay?

Does anyone know the name of the stainless steel protective cover over the wiring? Seeing if I can score that stuff off EBay for wire protection.....

Back