Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawaiianBrew

Reaction score
Just got some Irish moss in. Has anyone ever used Irish moss to help clear there brew? Any suggestions on using it?

Add it in the boil at the last ten to fifteen minutes. It helps with cold break. I use it in every brew.

Not much to it. Add about a teaspoon's worth, about 15 min before the end of your boil.....done :D. Have you used other clarifying additives in the past, like whirfloc? If so, procedure is the same.

I haven't used any clarifying agent before. My secondary is what normally clears it up pretty good. I found the Irish moss on amazon which came from monster brew.

I use a heaping teaspoon full if it is not powder, a half-teaspoon if it is. It works pretty well to get rid of chill haze.

I have never used Irish moss before but I decided to give it a try. On the packet it says to preheat water and let soak for about 30 minutes before pitching. Is this right, or should I just ad the half teaspoon to the wort 15 minutes to flame out?

I have read multiple sources that say to add it with no more than 5 minutes remaining. It's a complex cellulose structure that you are basically rehydrating in the boiling wort. Having it in there 10 minutes or longer starts to denature it and it loses capability. I add my WhirlFloc at flameout.

I have never used Irish moss before but I decided to give it a try. On the packet it says to preheat water and let soak for about 30 minutes before pitching. Is this right, or should I just ad the half teaspoon to the wort 15 minutes to flame out?

It couldn't hurt, but seems to work fine without re hydrating. I don't use it anymore now that I've found whirloc tabs, but I used to just add it directly to the kettle with no problems.

I've always put it in straight from the container with 20 minutes to go per Papazian. That said, it's always nice to follow package directions if you don't have any experience.

When you use it the first time your wort is going to looking really strange as opposed to what you may be used to. The Irish moss as I understand groups proteins together. This is what clears it in the end but also makes it look like you have huge chunks of stuff floating around. It reminds me of Chinese egg drop soup. I say this so you don't get nervous and think you ruined it. It will be clear after a few weeks.

When you use it the first time your wort is going to looking really strange as opposed to what you may be used to. The Irish moss as I understand groups proteins together. This is what clears it in the end but also makes it look like you have huge chunks of stuff floating around. It reminds me of Chinese egg drop soup. I say this so you don't get nervous and think you ruined it. It will be clear after a few weeks.

Yea thats probably what I will do. Thanks for the heads up.:tank:

The next time I use it, I'll wait until flame out to see if I notice any difference in the clarity of the final product. When I do use it, I have been adding it with about 15 minutes to go on the boil and I add a teaspoon for a 5 gallon batch.

Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing says 1/2 tsp. for 5 gallons with 15 minutes left in the boil.

I want to try irish moss or some other fining agent to clarify the beer but am concerned as to whether or not there will be enough yeast left to make good carbonation after I add the priming sugar for bottling.

Has anyone had any issues with irish moss or other fining additives inhibiting bottle carbonation?

I want to try irish moss or some other fining agent to clarify the beer but am concerned as to whether or not there will be enough yeast left to make good carbonation after I add the priming sugar for bottling.

Has anyone had any issues with irish moss or other fining additives inhibiting bottle carbonation?

Irish moss has no effect on yeast, it will not affect bottle priming at all.

I usually add a teaspoon at 15 min, since that's what the bag from AHS says. I've had pretty good results with it.

Ok here is the update, been using Irish moss since the start of this tread. I have nothing but good thing to say about using it. Been using it for the last 16 batches, all I get is really clear beer at the end. I add 1/2 Table spoon right around 15 minutes till flame out and have also tried to us it at flame out and there is no differance. Very good and cheap product. For clearing your brew.

Back