"Rocket fuel" apple wine... Need a quick fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanillabean

Reaction score
So I've make an apple wine from the apples in my yard. It's sitting at 14% abv. It's been sulfited and sorbated. I started it in September and its a little "hot". I fully expect to let it age out for probably a year, but I want to have a little at Christmas time. I was thinking of adding a bit of apple juice to dilute it a bit then also adding some cranberry concentrate to back sweeten and make a bit of a Christmas cocktail of sorts. My other thought was to back sweeten with ribena( black currant syrup). I did a sample with the ribena tonight and it was quite pleasant. I had to add quite a bit to sweeten and mellow the high alcohol. Ideally I'm thinking a bit of apple juice to dilute it first might be better. Anyone have experience with this. Any suggestions are welcome.

Have you tasted it chilled yet? If not, that might help kill the hot flavor some.

I have diluted wines that are too strong for me with fruit juice and they are fine. It just depends on your taste. You could also try diluting the cider with something fizzy and clear like seltzer water, 7up, or sprite. I would recommend just serving it as is and have the mixers on hand for anyone who might want something sweeter.

What about offering it a variety of ways? One option as listed above with the mix-ins for individual taste preference. And another option would be sweetened up and mulled--could be served chilled or warmed.

Most commercial fresh pressed ciders come in at 1.030, so you could backsweeten a portion to that, grab some mulling spices and follow package directions. Use a crockpot to keep it warm, while a bottle is kept crisp and cold. A local winery carries a spiced apple wine which is 15% ACV and dessert sweet, delicious chilled or warmed. I also think a bit of cranberry concentrate would be nice, but do not forget how tart that concentrate is even when diluted per directions.

I have tried it chilled and it was better but still not something I want to serve yet. So I ended up making 6 bottles of "Christmas cranberry blush" and 6 of "Black currant apple". For the cranberry blush I blended 2/3 apple wine with 1/3 white cranberry juice and then 1 can of cranberry concentrate. For the black currant apple I blended 2/3 apple wine with 1/3 white grape juice and then about 1-1.5 cup ribena black currant syrup. They both turned out REALLY nice ! Tomorrow I will stop by my LHBS to have a few labels made. So excited to bring these to a Christmas party.

I mixed mine with sprite until it mellowed a bit a few months later.

dude add cherries to it and let it age like that for a year...i bet it will be good stuff. moonshiners do the same thing...

The black crrent syrup addition sounds great! I'll bet you were the hit of the party!

iluv2brew said:
The black crrent syrup addition sounds great! I'll bet you were the hit of the party!

It was really good, but I think the cranberry was an even bigger hit. Maybe because it is more Christmasy.

Back