Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you were also, usually, [at least] half blind drunk at the time. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Can't handle 10 gallons of boiling wort or 50 lbs of beer in a glass container without a little drink or two can I?

But seriously, it's a choice.

Can't handle 10 gallons of boiling wort or 50 lbs of beer in a glass container without a little drink or two can I?

I thought that's the point where you got stable again... :eek:

But seriously, it's a choice.

Yup, 100% personal preference. As long as you know the pro's and con's of what you're using, it shouldn't be an problem. I really hate it when people scream at those using glass carboys to get PET ones, and vice versa.

I wave my private parts in their general direction... :D

I thought that's the point where you got stable again... :eek:

Yup, 100% personal preference. As long as you know the pro's and con's of what you're using, it shouldn't be an problem. I really hate it when people scream at those using glass carboys to get PET ones, and vice versa.

I wave my private parts in their general direction... :D

Yep... I love my 3 gallon glass carboys but I'm going to risk it (I hate plastic) the better bottles going higher. For me it's about some practical aspects.

As for my 3 gallon carboys, I'm more worried about light than shattering... I have them enwrapped with packing taped cardboard. They are thus sheathed with a tight fitting tube of cardboard which is perfectly safe from shattering glass. Until cleaning time which involves many calming drinks and barefootedness.

Yep... I love my 3 gallon glass carboys but I'm going to risk it (I hate plastic) the better bottles going higher. For me it's about some practical aspects.

As for my 3 gallon carboys, I'm more worried about light than shattering... I have them enwrapped with packing taped cardboard. They are thus sheathed with a tight fitting tube of cardboard which is perfectly safe from shattering glass. Until cleaning time which involves many calming drinks and barefootedness.

As long as you're at least wearing something over your 'ugly junk'... :eek:

I migrated to what I use so that I don't need to worry about breakage, light penetration, or any (far fetched it seems now) gas permeation. Plus, they can withstand pressure (up to 60psi) so I can easily do a CO2 push to transfer. More solid (built-in) handles also makes it easier to move them around. You can even stack them easily (along the lines of buckets). :D

I migrated to what I use so that I don't need to worry about breakage, light penetration, or any (far fetched it seems now) gas permeation. Plus, they can withstand pressure (up to 60psi) so I can easily do a CO2 push to transfer. More solid (built-in) handles also makes it easier to move them around. You can even stack them easily (along the lines of buckets). :D

Very awesome. I hope to be as awesome as the average kegger in the far future as I shed my apple green skin. Until then here is my carboard keg:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

all this talk got me thinking.... just listed my last 2 glass carboys for sale on the local internet classified website. They will sell used for a few bucks more than I need to buy better bottle replacements.

No judgment of right or wrong...I just find better bottles easier to handle, and easier to clean...

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of fermenters do you use? Stainless conicals? Converted kegs? Just curious is all.

No judgment of right or wrong...I just find better bottles easier to handle, and easier to clean...

Glass may be harder to handle but it's easier to clean. I use oxyclean for 24 hours, a carboy brush, rinse, and no-rinse sanitizer.

Works every time so far.... no worries about pores and harbored bacteria in plastic surface.

Have we already explored spraying the chicken with Flex Seal? Are we more worried about the chicken breaking when we drop it or if it will bite/claw us after we drop it?

The idea of coating a glass carboy with some kind of plasti-dip or other material seems like a good one. I have one potential concern, is anyone out there worried about creating too much insulation on the carboy by applying some kind of semi-permanent coating? The glass is a decent conductor but I imagine these polymer-based coatings could potentially significantly decrease the overall thermal conductivity of the carboy.

If you did your primary fermentation in the coated glass carboy the wort would put out some heat... I'm not sure how much heat is released, but I wonder if anyone has figured out, either through calculations or trial and error, if this coating would significantly increase the temperature of your primary fermentation?

I can't see the amount of heat generated by the yeast being that big of an issue. Worst case, monitor it (as you should anyway) and apply active cooling methods that are available to you.

If you are just looking to protect your limbs from shattered glass you could just use Flex Seal. A $12 can should be enough for two carboys.

flex_seal__62415_zoom.jpg

This is the stuff I was talking about from the commercial with the boat and the screen door.

Have we already explored spraying the chicken with Flex Seal? Are we more worried about the chicken breaking when we drop it or if it will bite/claw us after we drop it?

My chicken pisses people off. I want someone to be able to walk up to the chicken and shoot it in the face with a 45 and the chicken still be alive and intact.

I wonder about the idea of bedliner stuff (Herculiner?) It sticks like mad to my truck bed and it contains ground rubber for cushioning. It also has a real rough surface to give you better grip. The smell when it's wet is enough to make you act like a meth head though. You can pile on extra layers where you need them to build up the resistance to shock.

:off:Was your mother a hamster and did your father smell of elderberries?

since we've already strayed off topic i'll just add that I've got a 5 gallon batch of an Elderberry Wheat style ale in my fermentation closet right now.

it was brewed purely under the idea of calling it "Your Mother Was a Hamster"

I have no faith the beer is going to be good... just figured i would make it because i had the idea for the name...

that is all

since we've already strayed off topic i'll just add that I've got a 5 gallon batch of an Elderberry Wheat style ale in my fermentation closet right now.

it was brewed purely under the idea of calling it "Your Mother Was a Hamster"

I have no faith the beer is going to be good... just figured i would make it because i had the idea for the name...

that is all

Try dryhopping with a shrubbery

Nah, the shrubbery is awesome!!

Started to post a You name it/ we find a pic thread in the boneyard, but I was afraid that not many would have access. Whatcha think?

If photos got raunchy I didn't want them discouraged.

On the second thought, let's not post on this thread. Tis a silly place.

remind me....just WHY the mods deleted several posts in this thread that were ON TOPIC, but taking things in a logical direction (although that horse is long dead)....and now we get a bunch of sophmoric Monty Python references...

get over it people it was 40 years ago...since then we have these things called PC's, and plastics have evolved...instead of trying to spend another $20 bucks to pad an inherently breakable object...buy a Better Bottle if you are worried about being safe. If you prefer glass...live with the risk.

I'm thinking something in regard to the direction of this thread, but I'll keep it to myself. For now. But if one more person says tautalogous, I'm going off.

emmm.. epoxy the ****? is that for reals/better? encase the glass in molten lava an allow 24 hour hardening.

put the carboy through ninja school....

are you serious

the whole thing is a joke, so better to enjoy the craziness... that is what the title of the post attracts.

emmm.. epoxy the ****? is that for reals/better? encase the glass in molten lava an allow 24 hour hardening.

put the carboy through ninja school....

are you serious

the whole thing is a joke, so better to enjoy the craziness... that is what the title of the post attracts.

I really liked my idea of encasing the glass carboy in a split Better Bottle. If I hadn't given away all my glass carboys, I'd do it and document it for posterity.

Craziness? Well well, that's a requisite quality if you are going to be part of this hysteria. Nothing surprises me from you fools. Fools like me.

I'm the OP and this thread is tautalogous. I liked the idea of a carboy/R2D2 that was remote controlled. It would be safe and fun. Lots of good info keep it coming..

remind me....just WHY the mods deleted several posts in this thread that were ON TOPIC, but taking things in a logical direction (although that horse is long dead)....and now we get a bunch of sophmoric Monty Python references...

If you really are interested in a discussion of the relative merits of glass carboys v. better bottles v. buckets v. conicals v. corny kegs as fermentation vessels, there are lots of threads about that, or start a new thread on that topic.

I deleted the posts because they were off topic. If someone asks about how to bottle, telling them to keg is not on topic. If someone asks about where to find organic ingredients, arguing with them about the value of organic brewing is off topic. If someone asks how to use glass carboys safely, telling them not to use glass carboys repeatedly is off topic.

More importantly, its obnoxious. When members are obnoxious, their posts get reported and moderators are obliged to come take look and respond. General rule - don't be obnoxious.

I use a few glass carboys because you can't get a 6.5 gallon better bottle. Every once in a while a large vendor will tease us with stories of a 7 gallon PET bottle with a 4-5" wide mouth and then they find out the mold setup cost is in the five digits and....

I think I'm at minimum, putting a thick coat of plastidip on the bottom makes sense for avoiding chipping the glass on concrete floors unless you take the practical route of using milk crates and NEVER taking them out.

I use a few glass carboys because you can't get a 6.5 gallon better bottle. Every once in a while a large vendor will tease us with stories of a 7 gallon PET bottle with a 4-5" wide mouth and then they find out the mold setup cost is in the five digits and....

I think I'm at minimum, putting a thick coat of plastidip on the bottom makes sense for avoiding chipping the glass on concrete floors unless you take the practical route of using milk crates and NEVER taking them out.

Ale Pail 6.5 gallons sir.

One method of Egg breakability avoidance, is to suspend the egg in a box in a bag of pantyhose or other flexible material.

It would be a huge box, but perhaps some non static material that was strong enough would hold a full carboy but keep it from contacting the sides of the box it is in.

Latest posts

Back