Cherry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
I didn't want to hi jack the other thread on cherry wine type beverages so I thought I'd start this one. My father drove up to Erie this morning and on his way home he dropped off 5 gallons of fresh cherry juice from one of the wineries. I have never made cherry wine, in fact I have not made many wines except from juice that can be purchased at Wal-Mart. Looking for suggestions or guidelines. Hate to ruin 5 gallons of juice because I don't know what I'm doing. My original thought was to add about 10 pounds of sugar and some nutrient and energizer then pitch some yeast and see what happens. That seems to easy I'm sure there is something better out there.

5g of cherry juice is a gift from the heavens.

If it were me, I would put the juice into a carboy on top of 5 campden tabs. Add about 10lbs of sugar or whatever it took to get to around 1.090 or so. A little tannin and acid blend. Let it sit for 12hrs. Add 1/2-1 tsp of pectic enzyme. wait another 12hrs. pitch yeast. Taste it after a while to see what acid and amount of tannin needed.

Others may have a different way but, that is how I would do it.

followed the above advice and the wine is progressing very nicely. Will be racking for the second time this weekend. Looks good and smells wonderful. Tried a small sample and it is awesome already.

Back