Salvaging overcarbonated explosive batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paniller

Reaction score
I have 24 bottles downstairs of a tasty brew. Well, at least the part that didn't cover the ceiling and my entire body. You see, it was a high sugar beer from my first attempts, and I naively bottled after only 2 weeks. Tons of sugar farting out C02.

My tester bottles from the bottom of the batch with heavy sediment were flat out dangerous. One repainted the ceiling. The next was opened outside with a motorcycle helmet on and only boxers. The cap cleared the yard and landed in the street.

The low sediment tester was decently bad, lost half of it.

So, any trick that will prevent the rest from exploding? I doubt they're dangerous, but they're gonna blow somewhat.

Cold crashing them will stop the carb process, or at least slow it way down.

Were the tester bottles warm when you opened them? That is partly the problem, if yes. I would try to cold crash them, then pop the caps, release some pressure, and recap them.

I had a batch like that. when the 6th blew I dumped back in carboy and let it finish, then rebottled normally. Worked just fine.

The tester batch was cold, but only 8 hours in the fridge cold. I usually do 48+ hours.

Hopefully the rest won't be an issue. it was crazy how the sediment/yeast rose right up and shot to the surface. I thought it'd stay in the bottle and I could just pour out the clean top.

get them as cold as you can. Rubbermaid tub with ice water . will reduce pressure in the bottle and put the yeasties to sleep

I have a batch that is doing a great fountain when I open them. It was definitely finished fermenting when I bottled it as the FG was spot on and it had been in the primary for at least 3 weeks. It's a nut brown ale that is not a particularly high gravity. So far I have tried two bottles and neither one could I capture much to drink but the little I tasted was fantastic. No off flavors at all and very clear. Is it possible that if they are all over carbed and several days in the coldest spot in my fridge does not prevent the fountain, that I could salvage the batch by pouring them (fountaining really) back into my bottling bucket, let the sediment settle, and rebottle them? Would they have any carbonation then? Advice?

Back