Looking for a Belgian recipe with Am 2-row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a giant sack of grain, and I want to make a Belgian, either BPA or Saison, and I have a ton of American 2-row grain. All of the recipes I find have pilsner malt as the base (I should have bought pilsner malt).

Does anyone have a good recipe for either style with a base malt of American 2-row.

I also would like to avoid table sugar, as I have had poor luck with it.

Just sub the 2-row in where it calls for pislner malt. It will only taste slightly different, the main thing will be the SRM difference. I'm a bit of a purist I suppose in the sense that I'd try to use a continental pilsner malt (belgian in a belgian, german in a german) when the recipe calls for it, but I did just brew a hefe with 2-row instead of pislner and it seems to be coming along fine!

Lots of recipes are using the pilsner for the fermentables anyway, and using other malts for the flavoring like crystal, special b, wheat, etc.

Just sub the 2-row in where it calls for pislner malt. It will only taste slightly different, the main thing will be the SRM difference. I'm a bit of a purist I suppose in the sense that I'd try to use a continental pilsner malt (belgian in a belgian, german in a german) when the recipe calls for it, but I did just brew a hefe with 2-row instead of pislner and it seems to be coming along fine!

Lots of recipes are using the pilsner for the fermentables anyway, and using other malts for the flavoring like crystal, special b, wheat, etc.

And for the sugar? What would you swap in for that?

Just about every belgian and saison I've made has been with american 2 row and they all tasted just fine. I am going to switch my base malt to pilsner and want to try 2 simple belgian recipes side by side to see the difference, one with am 2 row and the other pilsner.

as far as table sugar goes I've had no problems with it. When do you add it and how much do you use? If I use it in large amounts I just put it in the tail end of fermentation. I did this with a tripel and it went from 1.081 down to 1.005 with 2.5 lbs of sugar towards the end of fermentation! A little drier than I wanted it to be but it is pretty damn good and actually has a bit of sweetness to it. no cidery off flavors or anything.

Latest posts

Back