Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XELA said:
yea, i would rather not add chemicals! i guess ill leave it for another few weeks then, and then a few more weeks in bottles

thanks

Hate to break it to you but this whole forum is based on the production of chemicals namely ethanol, with hopefully not to many esters and aldehydes thrown in ;).

OK so I woke up this morning to the Apfelwein bubbling and flowing into the airlock. I guess I didn't leave enough room in the carboy. I had to take off the airlock, thief some out of the fermenter to make more room and them replace the airlock. I did sneek a taste though...good stuff so far.

Dan

Willsellout said:
OK so I woke up this morning to the Apfelwein bubbling and flowing into the airlock. I guess I didn't leave enough room in the carboy. I had to take off the airlock, thief some out of the fermenter to make more room and them replace the airlock. I did sneek a taste though...good stuff so far.

Dan

Thats wierd when I did my batch I nearly filled my 5 gallon carboy to the rim and did not come close to having a blow out. I followed Ed's recipe exactly.

AleHole said:
Thats wierd when I did my batch I nearly filled my 5 gallon carboy to the rim and did not come close to having a blow out. I followed Ed's recipe exactly.

Yeah I did too. I left about an inch of room and this morning it wasbubbling and flowing into the airlock. No big deal though, I caught it in time that it didn't spill. But yeah I was surprised as well.

Dan

Willsellout said:
OK so I woke up this morning to the Apfelwein bubbling and flowing into the airlock. I guess I didn't leave enough room in the carboy. I had to take off the airlock, thief some out of the fermenter to make more room and them replace the airlock. I did sneek a taste though...good stuff so far. Dan

My 1st batch filled the whole airlock. This next one has considerably more space it shouldn't happen this time. I'm waiting to see the bottom of the s-lock completely suspended by CO2. I'm on day three with a million bubbles coming up already.

Wow what a difference 55'F vs 70'F!!!

AleHole said:

You are in for some good stuff! :tank:

Remember the 3 glass rule though! :D

Willsellout said:
I am buying two more...this time I'm doing it right; Better Bottles!

Dan

I think thats what im going to do for this. Im ordering my ingredients for my second beer tomorrow, and it looks like a new corboy will be added on. And to think i would be satisfied with my original kit. :p :drunk:

Ryanh1801 said:
And to think i would be satisfied with my original kit.

LOL, watch, Ladies and Gentlemen, as the obsession begins to take hold. :cross:

For the record, 1 week and 2 days, still rolling along, airlock activity was at a bubble every 2 seconds, but has dropped back to 1 every 4 to 5. Altho the bubbles running up the side of the carboy are fast and furious.

And for the record, this was your recipe as well Ed, only diff was it's Indian Summer Apple Juice.

More updates as they warrant.

Ize

Ize said:
LOL, watch, Ladies and Gentlemen, as the obsession begins to take hold. :cross:

Ize

I know. :ban: The bad part is im still in college full time and work part time. So my dreams of nice equipment, and brewing every weekend get put on hold. Oh well only 1 1/2 more years. :tank:

Ryanh1801 said:
I know. :ban: The bad part is im still in college full time and work part time. So my dreams of nice equipment, and brewing every weekend get put on hold. Oh well only 1 1/2 more years. :tank:

LOL, yeah but you're off to a great start. :mug: Keep the faith and add as you go. We all aspire to our own ultimate home brewery. What that is is different for everyone of course! It's the beauty of this hobby/obsession/way of life.

Doowhatchalike. :rockin:

Ize

Sweet jebus, I started my batch on February 10th. Just today, 6.5 weeks later, it's finally ready to be bottled. Good lord what took so long? I think i didnt mix the sugar well enough in the beginning. Who knows.

Paperface said:
Sweet jebus, I started my batch on February 10th. Just today, 6.5 weeks later, it's finally ready to be bottled. Good lord what took so long? I think i didnt mix the sugar well enough in the beginning. Who knows.

thats not too long, sounds about right to me

have you tasted one yet?

I started mine about 5 days ago at 1.060 and as of last night the airlock activity had slowed quite a bit so a took an SG which was at 1.000. Should I move it a secondary or just leave it in the primary for another week and then move on to a keg? What should I expect for an FG?

Mike

I'm just going to keep mine in the fermenter until it clears and I stop seeing action. I'm planning on two months right now...but I'm getting antsy already:D

Dan

Wow so I just went through 114 pages to read up on everyones experiences, lots of info.

I would like to make this but I'm quite sure my wife wouldn't like the dryness and I would also like more of the sweet apple flavor... so how did the Cote de Blanc turn out for those who used it? Also I was wondering if trading the dextrose for brown sugar does much to keep the flavor or if that just imparts a separate flavor. Thanks Ed and everyone else for the great thread!

paranode said:
I would like to make this but I'm quite sure my wife wouldn't like the dryness and I would also like more of the sweet apple flavor...

Sorry, but you can't say that or even think that till AFTER the THREE GLASS RULE.

After 3 glasses, if you still feel that way, then OK, go ahead and experiment, otherwise, enjoy!:tank:

I did a batch of cote de blanc and mantrachet. I bottled the cote de blanc 2 weeks ago, the 2 I have sampled were awesome. I also left a bottle still which was really good. (I prefer the carbed though) I bottled the mantrachet today. Honestly I prefer the cote de blanc, a little less dry, a little more of the apple flavor left.

I'm not knocking the origional, it was good, but for my taste the cote de blanc was better. I will admit though, I haven't used the 3 glass rule yet.
I also tried to sweeten with splenda on 1/2 the cote de blanc batch. Meh, I wish I didn't do that, unsweetened is much better.

OK I went through all these long informative threads and couldnt find my answer so..

I have an extra 6 gallon bucket the "Ale pale" is this aplfelwien ok to sit in the bucket for the 4 weeks or more? I want to really age the stuff. But alls I have at the moment is the ale pale, after 4 or 5 weeks I should have another BB to throw it in for some more aging.
So is it ok to use the Ale Pale for 4 or 5 weeks?
I will be making this this weekend

This question is for Ed:
Why do we have to give it three glasses to decide whether you like it or not? I mean I know after three glasses of 8.5% anything you are pretty numb. Does it not taste good?

Dan

Willsellout said:
This question is for Ed:
Why do we have to give it three glasses to decide whether you like it or not? I mean I know after three glasses of 8.5% anything you are pretty numb. Does it not taste good?

Dan

That's the point. After three glasses you don't care, and it will start to grow on you...

knarfks said:
I did a batch of cote de blanc and mantrachet. I bottled the cote de blanc 2 weeks ago, the 2 I have sampled were awesome. I also left a bottle still which was really good. (I prefer the carbed though) I bottled the mantrachet today. Honestly I prefer the cote de blanc, a little less dry, a little more of the apple flavor left.

I'm not knocking the origional, it was good, but for my taste the cote de blanc was better. I will admit though, I haven't used the 3 glass rule yet.
I also tried to sweeten with splenda on 1/2 the cote de blanc batch. Meh, I wish I didn't do that, unsweetened is much better.

So you still used corn sugar then I take it? Only changed the yeast?

Willsellout said:
This question is for Ed:

I think it tastes great myself. For some folks, it's a matter of expectation. As long as they know it is a very dry and crisp drink, then they are ready for it.

It also can be an aquired taste which, after 3 glasses, you'll will have aquired it. :D

mot said:
OK I went through all these long informative threads and couldnt find my answer so..

I have an extra 6 gallon bucket the "Ale pale" is this aplfelwien ok to sit in the bucket for the 4 weeks or more? I want to really age the stuff. But alls I have at the moment is the ale pale, after 4 or 5 weeks I should have another BB to throw it in for some more aging.
So is it ok to use the Ale Pale for 4 or 5 weeks?
I will be making this this weekend

I've only used BB in my making and I have one that I'll be kegging this weekend that's been in there since Jan. 16th. If all I had was a pale, 4 to 5 weeks would still be OK as long as it was very clean and sanitized. Some beer pails reak of hops after they've been used for a few times.

EdWort said:
I've only used BB in my making and I have one that I'll be kegging this weekend that's been in there since Jan. 16th. If all I had was a pale, 4 to 5 weeks would still be OK as long as it was very clean and sanitized. Some beer pails reak of hops after they've been used for a few times.

Yeah I have not used this thing for anything yet, just wasnt sure if the lid would keep a nice seal for the 4 or 5 weeks

EdWort said:
Sorry, but you can't say that or even think that till AFTER the THREE GLASS RULE.

After 3 glasses, if you still feel that way, then OK, go ahead and experiment, otherwise, enjoy!:tank:

So is this rule 3 glasses per sitting or 3 glasses overall? :D

LHBS only had Montrachet so I'll be using that anyways. :)

I bottled my 1st batch last week after 12 very long weeks. (Avg Ferment Temp 57'F) Since it was flat and warm, I had a glass on the rocks. Its tasted pretty darn good. The alcohol was barely detectable and it tasted just a touch green.

I thought it was very clear at the time, but to my surprise this morning there's signs of setting yeast as the bottles carb. After seeing this I know it well get better w/o a doubt. Its good to get a little positive re-enforcement. :)

SWMBO had a glass, but I had to cut it 50/50 with apple juice. Even that way it will pack a wallop if you over do it....

My #2 is going good. This was with 4 gal of juice 4 cans of juice concentrate and Cote Des Blancs. Next week I plan to split this batch, rack over to two secondaries, one with 2 cans of Oregon Strawberry and the other with 2 cans of Oregon Raspberry. SWMBO will like the sweeter stuff.

Thanks Ed for getting us started on this. I'll probably always have something going since it rather cheap and easy.

:mug:

HI

I started reading this thread a while back and have gotten kind of interested in it. I have a couple friends that aren't big beer drinkers (gasp!) but like hard cider and I thought I might make this and see how they like it. But I have a couple questions, and I am sorry if they turn out to be repeats, I couldn't read all 100+ pages.

1. I see you have done this in a carboy, would it work in an plain old bucket? I don't have a carboy, but am getting one for cold conditioning lagers, I just don't want to tie it up if it could be done in one of my buckets.

2. You said to ferment at room temperature, what is that for you? If I want to make this for the fall (I feel like this is a very fall/winter type drink), I need to start it this summer. Since I live in Hotlanta and my house leaks I can't afford to keep it much cooler than 80F during the day when I'm not here. I know that is too hot for [most] beers is the same true for Apfelwein? I can probably put it in a bathroom with the door shut, AC vent open, with something wet around it and keep that temp down 5 degrees maybe.

3. How does this compare to hard cider. Could you use your recipe and just cider?

Thanks

Beerific

A bucket will work. Since you live on Hotlanta it will ferment faster which is OK. If you have a basement use it. If not get over to Menards and get yourself a large kegger tub. Fill it with water once you got the fermenter in the tub. Roughly half way and drap towels over the fermenter so they touch the water and the bucket. The whole towel should be wet. This works best with a carboy. You can get the temp down ~ 10 degrees, especially if you have a fan or vent blowing on the thing. You can also drop frozen bottles of ice into the tub but its a PITA to keep doing.

Here some yeast info, has temp data. I think montrachet has tolerance for your heat.

http://www.cfhb.org/mead/yeast_strains.htm#mont

This is a year round drink, you will like drinking it on hot sunny day in Hotlanta! :D

Check of this wiki cider style link.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Styles_of_Cider

Get Busy And Make Some!! :mug:

I think mine is done. Its been almost 6 weeks and its defiantly a lot darker than the cloudy juice that went into it. There is still an occasional bubble in the airlock maybe one bubble per 5 mins if that, but there are no more small bubbles rising and all the yeast seems to be collected at the bottom in a pretty thick layer.

Just finished my first batch, I had to put it in an ale pale, because that is all I had, I wish I could see it ferment but oh well. I followed eds recipe exactly
5 gallons of apple juice
2 lbs of corn sugar
1 packet of montrchet yeast

Now patience.......

My apfelwein was started on Feb. 1 and I bottled it about 3 weeks ago and carbed it up. I would have to say that I like it much better carbed rather than flat and that it did carbonate fairly well in 3 weeks.

I must admit though I did a smaller mr.beer batch back in Feb and drank a little too much apfelwein and I did lose my taste for it, instead of drinking the 3 glasses Ed Wort instructed to do, I drank like 8.

Well, I finally got around to doing a small carboy of this. It is a variation on a theme.

2 gallons of apple juice, from concentrate.
1/2 gallon of real maple syrup.
1 lb dextrose.
Nottingham yeast.

It is in a 3 gallon carboy. We'll see what happens.

steve

Ok guys, need some help!

I just had some people over to try mine from the tap, and it was great! However, there were a lot of people who were expecting something a bit sweeter with more apple taste.

I am sure there is someone on this post that has already told how to accomplish this, but I don't feel like searching through 116 pages.

So if someone could tell me how to make it sweeter, less dry, and more apple flavor.. that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back