Rinsing your steeped grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
After steeping and dunking the grains, I've generally rinsed the grains bag with hot water (around 150^ F) until the water coming out of the bag is pretty clear.

I read not to squeeze the bag as it will release tannins. When brewing Stouts grains, you can rinse a long time before the water comes clear, if it ever does. But it seems like you are leaving flavors behind if you don't do some sort of a rinse. I'm just not sure to what extent.

What does everybody else do?

This is exactly what you should be doing - the "rinsing" you're doing is actually a form of sparging - an all grain brewing procedure for getting maximum sugar/flavor extraction.

To speed up the process, try using 170 degree water for this step.

I use to put my grain bag in a metal colander that could span across the rim of my boil pot. then I would pour water at 170ºF like Yuri Rage said over it, so the sparge water would drip through. then I would pour some of the water back over the grain bag with a ladle, as the boil heated up. I would stop when I got to 180ºF and then add my extract.

Back