More Wheat beer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackBayBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat bear on monday.

Ingredients:

1 lb flaked oats (for flavor I assume because the recipe calls for steeping them instead of mashing)
3.3# Wheat LME
3# Wheat DME
1 1/2 oz Stryian Goldings for full hour
1 oz bitter orange peel for 15 min
1 tsp ground coriander for 5 min.
WLP400

My question involves ferment temp. I am having trouble keeping the ferment temp under 74. According to northernbrewer.com, this yeast is best between 67 and 74, but everything I read seems to suggest that a temp that high will produce very strong banana flavors?

Am I good? or should I try moving to my kegerator and set the temp control to the high sixties?

Thanks!

When you say 74, do you mean ambient air temp, or actual wort temp?

We've been tracking fermentation temps recently (with a digital probe stuck in the wort) and have found that our ales are typically a good 6 degrees F above ambient when fermentation is really rolling.

I can't seem to post one of our data graphs, so here is a link. This was for a Belgian White. You can see where I made a big correction to keep the wort from climbing over 71F.

I would definitely stick it in the kegerator once fermentation takes off. Otherwise you could be at 80F.

I am at 73 and heavy fermentation has been going for a good 36 hours now. I doesn't seem to be going any higher. I wasn't too concerned about it because the particular yeast strain apparently calls for 67-74F. But, I have since read a lot about how that will produce very strong banana flavors and that's what got me worrying.

If it has been 36 hours, it's probably too late. You won't hurt anything by cooling it down a little, but I don't think it will help.

BTW, I ferment my wheats on the warmer side. The banana, clove flavor is definetly noticeable, but I don't think it is over the top.

Back