Suggestions needed - want to buy my best man a piece of home brew equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tornado681

Reaction score
I am getting married in Nov and my best man is an avid homebrewer. I want to buy him something for his homebrew collection.

I know as of now he purchases his hops etc already ground. I was thinking of purcashing him a grain mill attachment for his kitchen aid mixer. Would this be useful to a homebrewer? If not, could someone please provide some suggestions for equipment. Id like to keep it at 150 bucks or under.

Thanks,

--tornado

looks good. if you or any others have any other suggestions id appreciate it.

Thanks,

--tornado

Does he have a brewpot large enough for his needs? Seems like most homebrewers are always wanting more capacity, unless they have a keggle.

The super brew pots on this page are reasonable:
Austin Homebrew Supply

I have a 40 quart(10 gallon) pot and it works fine for 5 gallon batches, but it's a no go for 10 gallon batches.

It may seem impersonal, but what about a gift certificate from his local homebrew shop or one of the online places? It isn't the same as something wrapped in a big box, but trust me... I'd be all over it! Plus, you eliminate the risk of getting something he doesn't need or something he already has.

Northern Brewer, AHS, Midwest, MoreBeer all offer them.

X2 on the grain mill!!!!
If he doesn’t own one and you’re sure, this would be a GREAT gift.
As for a gift card, I personally think they are impersonal and say "I thought of you, but not that much” We quit giving people these for that very reason.
JJ

If anyone wants to get me a gift card....I'lll come be in your wedding.

I'd think a good crusher is a great gift....also would like the big kettle. A subscription to the AHA would be a cool addition, although a bit small to stand alone.

Does he Keg or just do Bottles?

I like where you're headed with this.

X2 on the grain mill!!!!
If he doesn’t own one and you’re sure, this would be a GREAT gift.
As for a gift card, I personally think they are impersonal and say "I thought of you, but not that much” We quit giving people these for that very reason.
JJ

In this instance I think a gift card is very practical. Most men (when it comes to tools/hobbies) know exactly what they want.

My SWMBO is very bright but if she tried to suprise me with a peice of brewing equipment I'm sure I would be happy with the gesture. But more than likely it either wouldn't be the proper item or something I didn't need.

If it was me I would get him a gift card to a homebrew shop. Online or local.

Then consider a gift of AHA membership or a 1yr subscription to homebrewtalk.

I gift card to his local hombrew store really isn't THAT impersonal when you think about it a little. It shows that you know he likes hombrewing and where he goes.

That being said, if he isn't kegging, a starter kit would be awesome. If he is, maybe some extra kegs or a nitro system?

I see a lot of good ideas on this but most assume what the guy is already using or needing. A mill (for example) is an excellent unless he is an extract only guy. Same with kegging if he prefers bottles or vice-versa... A gift-card covers all but doesn't carry the same weight as a personal, well thought out gift...although I'd go "ape" for a gift-card!

The key is going to be how familiar you really are with you best man and his current brewing techniques. I would make an uber point to find out precisely what he has vs. needs. When in doubt, go "covert" and ask his SWMBO to do some "snooping" for you. Find out something really precise and then nail the best-man-gift like a pro!

Good luck on the gift and the wedding!!:mug:

-Tripod

nail the best-man like a pro!

Fixed that for ya, Tripod! :D

If he kegs and has a kegerator, some custom tap handles would be an awesome gift. Nostalgia here on the forum makes some incredible ones!

But I'm with Harv- a gift card is a completely appropriate and practical choice in this case. Definitely a membership to AHA.

I would agree that a gift card is a nice gesture and probably a nice gift and maybe appropriate, but you can't deny that a well thought out gift is much nicer to receive. It just says...Hay I really put some effort and thought into your gift. IMHO
Not that I would turn down a $150 gift card from B3 or anything.
I just think of gifts a little different than others. Not better or worse just different.
Congrats on the wedding and I applaud you for taking time and giving a thoughtful gift, that’s pretty cool of you.
Cheers
JJ

tell him you heard Nov. 1 is 'teach someone to brew day' and you're interested in learning. check out how he brews, and ask lots of questions. If there's something he mentions he really 'needs,' your job is easy. If not, you're going to have to remember how he brews and report back here.

B

Fixed that for ya, Tripod! :D

If he kegs and has a kegerator, some custom tap handles would be an awesome gift. Nostalgia here on the forum makes some incredible ones!

But I'm with Harv- a gift card is a completely appropriate and practical choice in this case. Definitely a membership to AHA.

Those tap handles are pretty sweet. icon_smile_thumbup.gif

You say he has his grains crushed now, but I'm wondering if these could be steeping grains? A crusher is a nice gift if he is doign All-Grain brewing, but it might be important to find out for sure. (Although he is an extract brewer now, and you get him a crusher, it might push in into AG brewing!)

I'd also like to add that an attachment for the food processor isn't going to work as well as a good crusher. I looked that route a while back and the total response has been pretty negative. Plus, the difference in price doesn't make it worth putting up with.

May your marriage be as beautiful as the bride looks on her wedding day.

Tell him he can use that line at your reception, and then you've already given him your gift....Those toasts are often hard to cough up!!

Just kidding! (only a little)
I am + 1 on kegging...If he does that already, Can you have enough kegs?-(when will all the rhetorical questions end?) :)

Congrats, and Happiness to you and your Bride!

hey guys,

thanks for all the suggestions. I think i am going to go with the first suggestion.

--tornado

Back