Rogue Dead Guy kit mess-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoelBoone

Reaction score
Hello Brewers
So how bad did I mess up my first batch of beer? My fience gave me a BrewCraft kit for christmas last year and I just mustered up enought courage to make it here a couple weeks ago. First off because of the ago of the kit I purchased some new crushed grains and a new yeast Pac (pacman) on the advise of the local brew shop...so that part is good. But when she bought the kit the online store repackaged the "kit" into a smaller box so that the could save her some money in shipping. I followed the directions as closely as a newby could understand.

So heres my problems...
1- I forgot to take a OG reading before I pitched the yeast.
2- The kit directions said to not add the sugar until priming for bottling.

But after buying my second kit from same manufactur and seeing what should have actually been in the kit I am freeking out! The "sugar" that was sent to me was the dark candied sugar that should have been added at the end of the brewing with the aroma hops........and not at bottling.

How bad of a goof up is this?

P.S. dont let the online shop repackage your kit to save money. They did not include the bottle caps, priming sugar, or mesh baggies that come in the kits. I checked.

Don't worry about the OG reading, I stopped doing them for extract kits because when you add water to bring your batch to 5 gal. your readings for the OG are often skewed do to the recent addition of water and because perhaps the liquids are not yet combined evenly. I use the OG that the kit lists on the directions for calculating my ABV after fermentation. If you followed the directions closely your OG, and ABV should come out close to the target ranges.

The other portion of your question is confusing. Are you saying that you held out the candied sugar thinking it was the priming sugar? If this is the case perhaps your beer won't have the listed ABV that it should have based on the fact that there was less sugar in your beer for the yeast to convert to alcohol.

Also, always inventory your recipe kit as soon as it arrives to the house, as human error is often a possibility when packing a kit.

Priming sugar is used only during bottling.

yeah, that is going to be a problem. the leaving out the candi sugar, that is. forgetting the og reading is no big deal, usually. the candi sugar would have raised your alcohol level, and affected the flavor of the beer. seeing as how that was the only sugar they sent you, I can see how you got confused though. the good part is, it will still make beer.
I've never seen a shop repackage a brew kit, but I would be pretty mad if they left that much stuff out.

You will be just fine. Your OG will be lower without the sugar but will still make beer and most likely will still make a good beer.

Back