Advice on an IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardisode

Reaction score
I've put together a recipe for an ipa using mostly galaxy hops and a bit of coloumbs for bittering. Let me know how this sounds. I had to use the pound of DME on account of my 5 gallon tun getting maxed out otherwise.
11# Briess 2 Row Malt
1.5# Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
1# Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract
1# American Crystal 40L

60 min 2 oz Columbus ~ pellet 15.4 » 105.8
boil 30 min oz 1 Australian Galaxy ~ pellet 13 » 27.6
boil 5 min 2 oz Australian Galaxy ~ pellet 13 » 16.9

and then dry hop with another two or three ounces of galaxy, mash at 150 and ferment with us-05. Any input of what could make this better let me know. I was thinking of mashing some carapils as well but then id have to get more DME. Thanks!

You can sub 1 lb of malted wheat for 1 lb of 2-row, instead of adding carapils. The extract has some carapils in it anyway, and the C-40 should give you some of the same effect as well, if you want to leave it as is. I'd scale back the columbus, but if you want your beer enamel-strippingly bitter, 2oz is fine. I'd move the 30 minute Galaxy to 15 so you don't boil off most of what it adds. Maybe double it to 2oz as well. Now I'm jealous I don't have half a pound of Galaxy hops. Alas...

I've put together a recipe for an ipa using mostly galaxy hops and a bit of coloumbs for bittering. Let me know how this sounds. I had to use the pound of DME on account of my 5 gallon tun getting maxed out otherwise.
11# Briess 2 Row Malt
1.5# Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
1# Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract
1# American Crystal 40L

60 min 2 oz Columbus ~ pellet 15.4 » 105.8
boil 30 min oz 1 Australian Galaxy ~ pellet 13 » 27.6
boil 5 min 2 oz Australian Galaxy ~ pellet 13 » 16.9

and then dry hop with another two or three ounces of galaxy, mash at 150 and ferment with us-05. Any input of what could make this better let me know. I was thinking of mashing some carapils as well but then id have to get more DME. Thanks!

Grain bill is ok.

I'd definitely change up the hopping, though. IPAs are all about hops flavor and aroma, and not about tongue numbingly bitterness. I'd add more late hops, in a more balanced spread. Like this:

.75 oz columbus 60 minutes (or to 40 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz galaxy 15 minutes
1 oz galaxy 5 minutes
1 oz galaxy 0 minutes

Dryhop with galaxy and/or columbus hops for 5-7 days.

Thanks for the replys, i had the hop additions so high on account of the recipe I used as a base was a pliny clone. I Think i will scale back a bit on the hops, keep the grain bill where its at. How about this:
60 min 1 oz Columbus ~ pellet 15.4 » 55.3
15 min 1oz Australian Galaxy ~ pellet 13 » 15.5
5 min 1oz Australian Galaxy ~ pellet 13 » 8.8
1 min 1oz Australian Galaxy ~ pellet

Per my calculation that should be around 85 IBUs which should be good, coupled with the 8.1 percent ABV should be pretty damned tasty.
Kinda lucked out with the galaxy hops. Need to brew with em though.

Latest posts

Back