Mash tun fittings containing lead??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngryHobbitBrewing

Reaction score
Im looking to make a mash tun our the seemingly standard cooler with brass fittings however some people have stated that the fittings may have lead in them!

Will this make the wort taste like metal or have metallic qualities?
Does this affect the quality of the beer after fermentation???

Honestly, the amount of lead in brass fittings is trivial and I wouldn't worry about it at all. I used stainless fittings, but that is only because I like the look of all stainless. I wouldn't hesitate to use brass fittings from my local hardware store.

If you are really worried, you can always remove the surface lead as detailed http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

I used brass fittings and I've been brewing for over 10 years. The little head twitch I developed is minor to all the great beer I've brewed... just kidding... no head twitch, just an eye twitch ;)

Well, on the one hand, lots of people including Palmer (who allegedly has some metallurgy background) say that the amount of lead in a brass fitting is trivial. Besides that, you could pickle your brass to leach any surface lead out and feel even better about it.

On the other hand, this.

When I was young and a pipe fitter, we used 50/50 solder, now that was bad. Then it was only used for boilers and now I don't think you can get it. If brass has led, someone better stop everyone from using them for all pot-able water!!!

They have lead but it's only used in the tooling of the fittings. They do have lead free brass fittings at homedepot.

I've been out of the trades for years. I went into Home depot and was looking at fittings, everything was "shark bite" what the heck are these? Their could very well be lead free brass fittings too. I'm getting old.

Lead-free brass isn't completely lead-free, but it's supposedly limited to 0.25% per the Reduction of Lead in Drinking Water Act of 2010. This applies to wetted surfaces and fittings that are anticipated to supply drinking water to humans, and goes into effect January 2014 for new installations (and sales). Before that (and applying to everything still being sold and installed, as I understand it) the "lead-free" threshold was 4% at least in California, which is the only number I could identify in some quick Googling.

Bottom line: If you want to use brass but are worried about lead content, pickle your fittings.

I've been out of the trades for years. I went into Home depot and was looking at fittings, everything was "shark bite" what the heck are these? Their could very well be lead free brass fittings too. I'm getting old.

Shark bite fitting

sharkbite_system.jpg

Back