Can I cold crash an ale at refridgerator temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakey_99

Reaction score
After reading some threads, I've decided I'm not going to rack into a secondary and cold crash my Rouge Dead Guy Ale. After 2 weeks in the primary, I would like to cold crash it for 7-10 days.

Can I cold crash at 42-44 degrees? Or is this not yet an option for me because the temp will not be cold enough?

Thank you
Jason

The fridge will be fine. Depending on the temp you fermented at, you may want to do a D rest before crashing.
Bull

The fridge will be fine. Depending on the temp you fermented at, you may want to do a D rest before crashing.
Bull

Thank you for the answer. I did a search on "D rest" but could not find anything. Could you please explain?

Also, I'm fermenting in my basement 66-68 degrees.

... I've decided I'm not going to rack into a secondary and cold crash my Rouge Dead Guy Ale. After 2 weeks in the primary, I would like to cold crash it for 7-10 days.
If not adding anything, I cold crash the primary. Colder is better, but fridge temps are good. 7-10 days won't hurt, but by the second or third day most of what's going to drop has.

After reading some threads, I've decided I'm not going to rack into a secondary and cold crash my Rouge Dead Guy Ale. After 2 weeks in the primary, I would like to cold crash it for 7-10 days.

Are you going to keg it then ?

Hector

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Now that Ive read some info on D-rest, please let me know if this is a solid plan:

Keep in primary: fermenting in my basement at 66-68 degrees for approx. 17-20 days or so days.
Move primary upstairs for D-rest: constant 72 degrees for 2 days
Cold crash in fridge for 3-4 days 42-44 degrees
Keg

Thank you

In most cases, a diacetyl rest isn't necessary for an ale that's been properly brewed.

edit to say:
You'll be taking a gravity sample before crashing. No butter, no D-rest.

AnOldUR said:
In most cases, a diacetyl rest isn't necessary for an ale that's been properly brewed.

Im a extract brewer so the kit wasn't to complicated (4th batch I've done) However, after everything Ive read on HBT i'm just trying to find out whats the best way. The beer has been in the primary for about 7 days now and it looks and smells great. So far so good I think.

Maybe I will just cold crash and be done with it. Its does seem a D Rest is mostly used for lagers (but I could be wrong) after all thats the fun of Home brewing right? Experimentation.

Its does seem a D Rest is mostly used for lagers (but I could be wrong) after all thats the fun of Home brewing right? Experimentation.
There are some ale yeast like Ringwood that produce diacetyl, but since this is a Rogue beer I'm guessing that you used Pacman. Pacman is a very clean yeast that won't produce diacetyl if treated properly.

Its funny, because as a young brewer, I didn't think that any ale would need a Diacetyl rest.

After entering a few competitions and really listening to the feedback, I feel that a D rest can't hurt an ale and can certainly be beneficial if your fermenting on the low end of the temperature range.

The bottom line is to taste the beer and to see if it needs one, or, you can follow a standard practice of fermenting your beers in the low end of the temp range and then letting them warm up towards the end naturally.

In time you'll find what works for you. For now, brew, taste, learn , rest, learn, etc. repeat!

Keep asking questions, keep reading, and in the end you'll be happy you did!

Good luck and keep brewin!:mug:

Bull

Latest posts

Back