new keggle ready but cooling system is not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally got my hands on some kegs which I just finished cutting the tops in. I have all my ss valves, bulkheads, and cam locks to install before the weekend when I hope to brew my first batch in them (2 kegs for 2 batches). I am not sure if I'm doing two 12 gallon batches or two 5 gallon. But my problem is do not have the cooling system worked out yet. I have an immersion chiller I use for my 7 gallon kettle but I am sure it won't fit in the keggles because of the depth. Any ideas?

Here are my thoughts:
1 - scramble to build a new immersion chiller before the weekend.
2 - bend my existing small chiller to try and get it to work.
3 - order a plate chiller and pay expedited shipping (and use gravity to move the wort).
4 - just wait till I get my ducks in a row.

Any ideas?

Here are my thoughts:
1 - scramble to build a new immersion chiller before the weekend.
2 - bend my existing small chiller to try and get it to work.
3 - order a plate chiller and pay expedited shipping (and use gravity to move the wort).
4 - just wait till I get my ducks in a row.

1-3 are all acceptable options IMO.
Your existing chiller can be refitted w/ couplings to sit lower in the kettle as well.
option 4 sounds like a retreat or surrender, unnacceptable!

Try a no chill batch? Set the kettle / keggle in a large tub of water, rinse repeat and add ice to finish. Always a way my friend.

I would use your existing chiller as is if you can at least get it below the wort level. It doesn't need to sit on the bottom to work, but you will want to stir the wort around while it's chilling (like you should be doing with your 7 gal kettle anyway).
Another option would be to tear apart your IC and make a CFC out of it. At least those parts are all readily available at your local big box hardware store.

Since the other comments have argued for other methods (which I think would be fine) I'll just chime in and say I love the plate chiller I use. I gravity feed although I think I'll eventually get a pump also.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am leaning towards trying to modify my existing ic to tide me over for now. In the meantime I am going to start pricing copper tubing.

cmybeer said:
Since the other comments have argued for other methods (which I think would be fine) I'll just chime in and say I love the plate chiller I use. I gravity feed although I think I'll eventually get a pump also.

Can you take it apart to clean the plates? That's the only thing I am worried about.

Can you take it apart to clean the plates? That's the only thing I am worried about.

No need. Flush with Oxyclean and rinse. Having a pump is a big plus. I backflush first, then run the Oxy through the other way, just switching QDs. Then a final rinse with water and let it all drain.

I wouldn't use a plate chiller without a pump, personally.

I would echo earlier comments to use the existing immersion chiller and stir. You don't have to get the wort down to pitching temps...just get it as cool as you can, and then rack to the fermenter and put it in whatever you use to maintain fermentation temps to cool the rest of the way before aerating & pitching. Stirring gently while you chill will help a lot.

i use my pump to start the flow of wort going through my plate chiller then i turn it off, works great and the wort goes from boiling to the low 60's in one pass. this works best with leaf hops since i have a hopstopper that i still have a bit of trouble with when using pellet hops.

Back