fermentation bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hess414

Reaction score
What's the difference between a $17 bucket from northernbrewer.com and a $3 bucket from the home depot?

Home depot buckets are only 5 gallon.
Not too sure about northern but the buckets from
Midwest are 6.5 gallons.
Slainte

Also what the difference between a 5 gallon better bottle and a 5 gallon water bottle from the culligan guy??

greenhaze said:
Home depot buckets are only 5 gallon.
Not too sure about northern but the buckets from
Midwest are 6.5 gallons.
Slainte

Is that the only difference? I could use one from depot if only make a 2 gallon batch?

Hess414 said:
Also what the difference between a 5 gallon better bottle and a 5 gallon water bottle from the culligan guy??

I have two 5 gallon water bottles I use to ferment. They have to be a certain plastic. I know #1 plastic is safe to ferment in but there was another # that would work too. I just don't remember which one.

Do a search in the forum and you'll find threads on using water bottles and which plastic # 's they have to be.

I use the orange home depot buckets all the time for 3.5 gallon or smaller batches. I haven't died, yet.

what's the difference between a $17 bucket from northernbrewer.com and a $3 bucket from the home depot?

$14

(HD in my area has a white 5 gallon bucket for about $4. It has a "food safe" sticker on the outside, and it's made of the exact same plastic as my fermenting bucket from Northern Brewer. They also have a 2 gallon size for small batches.)

They also have a 2 gallon size for small batches.)

Which comes in handy! The damn lid doesn't seal for s--t though... Not that it matters, just don't expect a lot of airlock bubbling if you rig one up. Next time I might just try putting the lid on as is with no airlock since it seems to vent enough air.

Back