Beginners All-Grain Inventory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polo_check

Reaction score
I'm starting all grain batches soon. I would like to build an inventory of grain, hops, and maybe yeast. The question is what kind and how much is a good amount to start with. What would be a good amount to invest to get an inventory started? $50-$100? I plan on brewing 5-10 gallons a month. What would be your suggestions on basic grains, hops, and yeast to carry?

Isn't this going to depend on what you'll be brewing?

^^This.

I just started doing the same thing myself. I figured that I'd be making mostly pales, IPAs, the occasional stout or porter (experimenting a little with each), and a blue moon clone for my fiancee. So here's what I ordered:

50 lbs american 2 row
2 lbs chocolate malt
3lbs special b
5 lbs flaked oats
5lbs biscuit
5 lbs crystal 40
5 lbs crystal 60
5 lbs munich 10L
5 lbs munich 30L
3 lbs honey malt
5 lbs victory
2 lbs roasted barley
5 lbs rice hulls
2 lbs black patent malt
5 lbs white wheat malt
2 lbs carafa special iii
3 lbs dextrine malt

2 packs nottingham dry yeast
2 packs s-04 dry yeast
2 packs us-05 dry yeast

4 oz amarillo pellets
2 oz warrior pellets
2 oz chinook pellets
2 oz columbus pellets
2 oz simcoe pellets
10 oz centennial pellets

I also have a stir plate and plenty of light DME so making starters for liquid yeasts isn't a problem, and I'll probably culture some Pacman to see how that does for a few generations.:rockin:

I know I have WAY more than enough for what I'll likely be brewing in the near future, but having this much will allow me to experiment and try to change one variable at a time, and it will allow me to brew on my own schedule - which unfortunately, doesn't seem to always cooperate with my LHBS.

I'm sure. I'm just looking to see what homebrewers tend to keep in their inventories. I wouldn't say I tend to brew a certain style of beer. If I had to narrow it down I would have to choose American style ales.

I wouldn't bother buying a big supply of grain, yeast, and hops if you are just starting out. There are SOOOO many varieties of each, and as a beginner I'd really focus on trying lots of different varieties to find out what you like before you start thinking about bulk purchases of anything.

First off, you really can't get all that much for $50-100. That's like 2-5 batches of stuff, and I assume you don't want to make the same 2-5 recipes, so just order what you need.

Seriously, just plan ahead and order grains from a good online supplier or your local home brew shop if it's close. Don't try to build up a grain/yeast/hops supply until you know what you're doing.

You'll learn alot more alot faster if you go for variety over quantity at this point.

Also, don't forget that if you ARE going to start stocking grain, you are going to want to buy and store unmilled grain and you'll need your own mill. Don't know if you factored that in!

I would vote got the LHBS, your budget will barely cover a mill (and a nice mill really makes a big difference) while the LHBS should already have a mill that you can use, plus fresher grain. My LHBS will let me pre-pay for grain and give a price break, you may want to check that option out too if grain price is your concern.

The only grains I bulk buy are my base grains. Pilsen, Pale, and 2 row.

Everything else I buy as needed. Did a group buy with a local homebrew club and got the grain cheap.

If you're storing grains be sure the temp and humidity is appropriate. If you get the temps too high you'll get grain weevils that will eat all your grains. I got a package of brand name pancake mix once that was faaaar beyond its expiration date. It was disgusting inside. Those little buggers are in every scrap of grain ever harvested, no matter how good your sanitation practices are. Weevils on Stored Grain — Entomology — Penn State University

I wouldn't bother buying a big supply of grain, yeast, and hops if you are just starting out. There are SOOOO many varieties of each, and as a beginner I'd really focus on trying lots of different varieties to find out what you like before you start thinking about bulk purchases of anything.

This...

Do you have a local homebrew show? They should stock enough.

That or at least come up with 4 to 5 recipes that you plan to brew and buy off that....

I keep at least two sacks each of wheat and 2 row in sealed containers. Then I buy other grains as needed. Usually I choose 5 to 10 recipes I want to make, and buy the ingredients for all at the same time. I plan them based on yeast strain. I try to make at least 3 batches on the same yeast, and always harvest some for storage. I keep hops in bulk too. When I get down to my last couple planned brews, I place another order. This works out very well.

I think you've gotten sound advice from the others to experiment a little and find some base grains that you like, then buy those in bulk.
A little off topic but to respond to the issue of the grain mill, my Barley crusher paid for itself within a year. I go through about 200 lb base malt per year, and compared to ordering it in 10lb quantities pre-crushed vs. 50lb bag I find I can save $25-30 a bag (I usually keep American 2-row, Belgian pilsner). This doesn't include savings from increased efficiency by controlling the crush myself.

Back