SMASH Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems a strange thought as I associate them with pale ales, and the attempt to learn about malts and hops...

If you want an IIPA, make a great recipe, otherwise it is a lot of time for a smash beer.

I would want some roastiness somewhere in my recipe to balance my IIPA :)

I haven't yet, but it'd be an easy formulation. Choose a simple, low-color base malt like Pils or 2-row, a medium- or high-alpha hop like Amarillo or Centennial, and an aggresive yeast like Chico or Notty. Target ~8%ABV and ~120IBU with at least 4oz of hops split between flameout and dry.

Roastiness has no place in a Double IPA IMO.

I agree with 944, DIPA is about hops, not roastyness. A roasty IIPA wound be terrible.

I would do 2-row and 8-10oz of cent.

Marris otter or two row to 1.075 or so, mash real low, 148-149, pick your favorite high alpha acid hop, bitter to 25% of the ibu at 60 minutes and then get the rest of your bittering and flavoring done from 25-30 minutes down to 0 minutes with a massive 20 minute flameout hop steep AFTER starting a whirlpool.

Then dry hop the sh*t out of it with same hop. Enjoy

I agree with 944, DIPA is about hops, not roastyness. A roasty IIPA wound be terrible.

I would do 2-row and 8-10oz of cent.

India Black Ale is one of my favorite styles of beer. Amazing stuff -- but far removed from regular IIPAs.

mash real low, 148-149

I don't understand why someone would want to mash so low on a SMASH ale, even a higher gravity one. The wort is 100% base malt, so it's going to dry out on its own (it's lacking the 5-10% less-fermentable crystal malt that would normally make its way into a IIPA). I actually mash my SMaSH ales hot to leave a little body and enhance the malty flavor of an otherwise bone dry beer.

India Black Ale is one of my favorite styles of beer. Amazing stuff -- but far removed from regular IIPAs.

I like India Black Ales too, but that style is far different from a DIPA.

At least to me, a DIPA has very set boundaries. But thats what is great about brewing, if you like it go ahead :)

I like India Black Ales too, but that style is far different from a DIPA.

At least to me, a DIPA has very set boundaries. But thats what is great about brewing, if you like it go ahead :)

Of course I agree they are distinct styles -- they do have different names in the BJCP guide, after all :rolleyes:

My point was while "roasty" flavors don't "belong" in a IIPA, in sufficient quantities they can elevate to a wonderfully different style altogether -- a style which in my opinion is not "horrible" as one poster suggested.

I should qualify what I meant with roasty... I was attributing the qualities recieved by any of the additional malts such as amber and caramel that give the soft subtle flavors that add to the base malt to the word "roasty". This is most likely a bad word for what I was trying to say, and usually would be associated with a darker beer, but since all of these additional malts are roasted more than the base malt, that is where it came from for me.

I should qualify what I meant with roasty... I was attributing the qualities recieved by any of the additional malts such as amber and caramel that give the soft subtle flavors that add to the base malt to the word "roasty". This is most likely a bad word for what I was trying to say, and usually would be associated with a darker beer, but since all of these additional malts are roasted more than the base malt, that is where it came from for me.

Amber malt might be described as lightly "toasty." Caramel malts range from "honeyish" to "caramel" to "toffee" to "burnt sugar/raisins." "Roasty" typically refers to coffee-like flavors associated with the darkest malts -- carafa, black patent, chocolate, and roasted barley.

Back