Cali V in Citra Pale Ale or DIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some harvested Cali V slurry in the fridge and was thinking of using it for a Citra Pale Ale, or possibly an Imperial IPA / Double IPA. Anyone have any thoughts on this combination? Will it be too fruity or full-bodied for a pale ale? Will the Citra come through nicely?

I'd like to use it for something, so if this isn't a good combination, I'm open to other suggestions. Harvested it from a Honey Blonde recently, and after 2 weeks in the bottle, I really like this beer. Mashed low, so it came out quite dry, which is what I was shooting for. Would like to use this yeast on something again, since I have it. Thanks.

is your honey blonde too fruity or full bodied?

I think it would work fine in either of the beers you mentioned.

The honey blonde is not too fruity, so maybe I'm worried about nothing. If I do the Citra Pale Ale, maybe I'll just make sure to mash low and ferment at the low end to get it drier and less fruity.

I've read on here that some guys think the Cali V yeast is pretty close to Stone's house yeast so I think it should work well.

Back