New Replacement for March Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dayton is marketed by Grainger ...careful though it has a silcon carbide mechanical seal which is exposed to your brew

It's not approved on the FDA site because it is not a food additive. Chevron Phillips makes Ryton. Here's their FAQ link:

http://www.cpchem.com/bl/rytonpps/en-us/Pages/faq.aspx

from that source: "Do you have any "FDA approved" grades of Ryton® PPS?
Answer: There are no "U.S. FDA approved" Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds. Polyphenylene sulfide resins are specifically permitted under 21 CFR 177.2490 as coatings or components of coatings of articles intended for repeated food contact use, subject to certain limitations. This permission does not extend to articles injection molded from Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds. But, ordinary houseware articles, such as dishes, flatware, beverage glasses, mugs, cooking utensils, cutlery, and electrical appliances, are not subject to U.S. FDA regulation as "food additives." Therefore Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds may be suitable for use in such articles classified as housewares, but such use is subject to the general safety provisions of the U.S. Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, meaning their use cannot in any way adulterate the food contacted. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer of the final article to determine the safety and suitability of Ryton® PPS for such applications. Several Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds have been certified to comply with the requirements of various Potable Water and Food Contact Standards."

I still think it's BS. I would trust the Ryton way before I would trust the radioactive Chinese stainless steel. Actually, Wikipedia IS generally a reliable source on descriptions and it's easy to cross check any info found there. I suppose you could come up with contradictory information on nearly any topic if you search long enough. What material is used for the plastic March pump heads? Is there a hazard with those also?

Nice research....anyone can search the internet and believe what they read. I am fully inlvolved with the construction of these pumps..right down to witnessing the pouring and moulding of the SS during mfg. (going to high grade 316 ) Take my advice for what it is ...just a guy trying to help people make beer using what I believe to be the proper materials based on my experience using and selling pumps for more than 15 years. Yes we will make money selling these pumps!!! But we are looking for ideas to make them better based on the enduser..the home brewer ..and thanks to the many out there this will be a great pump to use at an affordable price in a time where saving a couple bucks means a lot to families .

Little Giant only makes Polypro Plastic pumps I strongly reccomend NOT using Poloypro...plasticizers tend to leech out over time especially with high temps. Email me your address I wil send you a Chugger SS pump free to evaluate would appreciate the feedback as we a re continuing to improve this product. [email protected]

thanks

Email sent.

Nice research....anyone can search the internet and believe what they read. I am fully inlvolved with the construction of these pumps..right down to witnessing the pouring and moulding of the SS during mfg. (going to high grade 316 ) Take my advice for what it is ...just a guy trying to help people make beer using what I believe to be the proper materials based on my experience using and selling pumps for more than 15 years. Yes we will make money selling these pumps!!! But we are looking for ideas to make them better based on the enduser..the home brewer ..and thanks to the many out there this will be a great pump to use at an affordable price in a time where saving a couple bucks means a lot to families .

Yes, I agree that you are not exactly an unbiased source of information for sure. Don't get me wrong. I was just ribbing you about the chinese stainless. I'm sure your stainless is just fine. I really only object to creating hysteria about the plastic pump heads. I'm no expert on this **** by any stretch, but I really don't believe there is anything to be concerned about with either the March or the LG plastic pump heads. I don't have an SS fetish and I do not harbor a fear of brass either. There definitely is plenty of room for a high quality, low cost pump in this hobby. I'm actually quite surprised that someone has not done what you are doing sooner. I wish you success and I may buy one of your pumps myself if the one I have goes south on me or if I find that I need two pumps.

I really need a pump and have been researching these threads for hours/days. I'm leaning towards the Chugger due to price but would really like see actual feedback from users. I also have a bias towards SS due to cleaning and threading issues.

Glad to see that the Chugger company is on here trying to help, Thank you!

I will be doing a full and thorough review of the chugger pump tomorrow.. should have it posted by monday or Tuesday.

I received my SS head last week. I get back home in the morning. But what I have found so far was there customer service. I talked to Mike over the phone. He just wants to make a quality product and get it out to us homebrewers. He is passionate about his product. Like so many other venders that we have on this site, there not in it to make money.
I will post some pics and a thorough review once I get home and install it on my March pump.

It's not approved on the FDA site because it is not a food additive. Chevron Phillips makes Ryton. Here's their FAQ link:

http://www.cpchem.com/bl/rytonpps/en-us/Pages/faq.aspx

from that source: "Do you have any "FDA approved" grades of Ryton® PPS?
Answer: There are no "U.S. FDA approved" Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds. Polyphenylene sulfide resins are specifically permitted under 21 CFR 177.2490 as coatings or components of coatings of articles intended for repeated food contact use, subject to certain limitations. This permission does not extend to articles injection molded from Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds. But, ordinary houseware articles, such as dishes, flatware, beverage glasses, mugs, cooking utensils, cutlery, and electrical appliances, are not subject to U.S. FDA regulation as "food additives." Therefore Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds may be suitable for use in such articles classified as housewares, but such use is subject to the general safety provisions of the U.S. Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, meaning their use cannot in any way adulterate the food contacted. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer of the final article to determine the safety and suitability of Ryton® PPS for such applications. Several Ryton® PPS injection molding compounds have been certified to comply with the requirements of various Potable Water and Food Contact Standards."

I still think it's BS. I would trust the Ryton way before I would trust the radioactive Chinese stainless steel. Actually, Wikipedia IS generally a reliable source on descriptions and it's easy to cross check any info found there. I suppose you could come up with contradictory information on nearly any topic if you search long enough. What material is used for the plastic March pump heads? Is there a hazard with those also?

I am not sure that I would take the word of a chemical company either. The unfortunate thing is that we will not know the hazards of long time expsoure to any of the chemicals in these plastics for many years to come. That's why I have a problem with people that spout, "I use it and have no problem". The fact is that no, you don't have a problem now, but in 20 years you may have a penis growing from your forehead or you could be fine. The point is that nobody knows for sure. I am not an alarmist and if you feel safe, use it, but don't try to convince others when not all the facts of long time exposure are known. The decision to use should be up to the individual because only they know how much risk they are willing to take. Nobody needs convincing.

Any updates on these pumps? I'm debating the whole chugger/march/little giant ordeal. I'm leaning to trying a chugger pump but there isn't much feedback on people that have actually used one.

Any updates on these pumps? I'm debating the whole chugger/march/little giant ordeal. I'm leaning to trying a chugger pump but there isn't much feedback on people that have actually used one.

Well, I can only comment on the replacement head, not the complete pump. The one I have is working well. Even the seizing issue disappeared. I've run several batches of brew through it and I can't begin to guess how many hours running it as a sous vide.

Show me some Stainless Steel that is not from China, Indonesia or Vietnam...they sell it to everyone ....it sucks we cant mfg things here the US and actaully make $$$$...let me know when everyone wants to pay more money for SS made inthe USA !!! As for the plastic .....show me one food mfg that uses plastic in any of their processes?? The FDA will not allow it ....Chugger is a good alternative to the ryton ....what guy wouldnt want an extra penis anyway ?

Show me some Stainless Steel that is not from China, Indonesia or Vietnam...they sell it to everyone ....it sucks we cant mfg things here the US and actaully make $$$$...let me know when everyone wants to pay more money for SS made inthe USA !!! As for the plastic .....show me one food mfg that uses plastic in any of their processes?? The FDA will not allow it ....Chugger is a good alternative to the ryton ....what guy wouldnt want an extra penis anyway ?

Totally depends where it is. :D

Is there any estimate when the revised editions of the SS pumps will be coming out? From what I have read the current SS versions are prototypes but the newer version will be 316 SS and with SS internals. Is this true and when? Also, will the price reflect these changes? Thanks.

If I had a extra penis, does that mean that the wife can still keep her bf?......Just asking................Great product Mike.

The new span of the San Francisco bay bridge comes from China.

I would have no fears of these stainless pumps, radioactive steel I draw the line. From the first photo pump runs they needed a little better detailing on the threads plus discharge being larger, smoother plus casted concentric to the OD of the outlet stub.
Now make them for the 1/12 HP or higher instead of those gutless 1/25 HP your onto something, JMO.

offer ends @ 4pm EST ...we will continue to make this pump better and affordable for everyone ...thanks for the input

Email sent for a free SS pump thanks now waiting to do some testing, this is great exposure of your product. Will these be the improved versions with concentric ports? Thanks, Carl.......=o&o>......

offer ends @ 4pm EST ...we will continue to make this pump better and affordable for everyone ...thanks for the input

I've often wondered if a DC version with speed control would be worth the effort. There is one camp that seems to think that peristaltic is the way to go because the impeller 'beats the crap' out of the beer, yet so many people don't seem to notice any ill effects.... Any thoughts on that?

This can't be real! So how much are you getting for selling our info? :D

Email sent! Thanks.

Email sent! Thanks for the offer; I'd definately spread the word to my brewer friends to upgrade their systems.

Back