Dunkles Weissbier Uncle Dunkel (Erdinger Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigB

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 3068 Weinhenstephan Weizen
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 68F
Additional Fermentation
Bottle 21 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Very similar to the original Erdinger Dark Hefe
This beer is really close to the Erdinger Dark. It has a nice clean taste similar to the original. You will note in the ingredients that I used some Glacier hops... that was a bit of an experiment, but another .5-.75 oz of Hallertauer would be more appropriate for the style. However, side by side, I have trouble tasting the difference between the original Erdinger and my version. But to be fair, I also didn't do a side-by-side until mine had conditioned for 5 weeks.

3.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 37.21 %
2.25 lb Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 27.91 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 24.81 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.20 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.10 %
0.06 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.78 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.80 %] (60 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

Mashed for 60 minutes at 154 in 2 gallons. Sparge for 10 minutes in 2 gallons at 170. Used 4.5 oz corn sugar for priming.

Decent looking recipe, but I am curious as to why you used Carapils with that much wheat. You should be able to get all the body and head retention you can handle from a wheat beer without anything extra. Mashing a little higher, 154-156, should give you good body to the beer. What did you mash at, btw?

Decent looking recipe, but I am curious as to why you used Carapils with that much wheat. You should be able to get all the body and head retention you can handle from a wheat beer without anything extra. Mashing a little higher, 154-156, should give you good body to the beer. What did you mash at, btw?

You are right, I could have done without the carapils... I honestly cannot remember why I threw it in to begin with. As you pointed out, the beer has plenty of body. In retrospect, I think I would probably eliminate the carapils and increase the munich slightly to keep the OG close. I mashed at 154- I edited the original post to reflect that.

Back