Need tubing advice before lunch break.. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrugCoder

Reaction score
I need to go pick up some braided tubing from Lowes during my lunch break. I saw the other day they have the braided stuff but I don't know which is food safe. What do I need to look for to make sure what I'm buying is food safe?

Go to the plumbing section and look for a Stainless Steel Water connector. They will food safe because they're SS. You'll be taking (at least generally advised to) the rubber tube out anyway.

I'm assuming this is for a Mash Tun

Yes and no. I built my mash tun this past weekend and am planning on brewing tonight. I used 1/2" parts and I don't have any 1/2" tubing at home. I'm needing a hose to get the wort from the MLT to the BK. I am not using pumps right now but plan on it in the future so I was going to just go ahead and get tubing that could possibly be used later on when I introduce pumps into the system.

you will not find this at a hardware store. Nothing food safe rated for the temps needed.
You'll want this Thermoplastic Rubber Tubing 2nd thing down the page.
Actually the first one listed will work to for transferring to a BK but isn't available in 1/2".

You can still brew tonight though. Just drain into a bucket from the nipple on your ball valve and transfer to the BK.
This stuff can definitely be used with your pumps too.

Back