Downconverting a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardoor

Reaction score
I have acquired an IPA recipe from the owner of a brewery that I cannot buy where I live currently. He was amazingly helpful in that he just faxed me over the recipe sheet he uses and told me to bring some in when it's finished for a taste with him. The problem; it's a recipe for a 50bbl batch and I don't have any beer software currently to downconvert it currently. I'd greatly appreciate someone converting this from a 50bbl batch to a 5 gallon batch. The recipie is as follows:

Grain Bill:

2800 2-row silo
165 Dingemans Cara 8
55 Dingemans Cara 20
55 Pauls Med. Crystal

I'm assuming the measurements are in lbs. but not sure.

Hop Schedule:

3364g Columbus (12.2%) FWH
2835g Cascade (6.3%) 1:10
2835g Cascade (6.3%) 1:20
8805g Cascade (6.3%) WP
5448g Cascade (6.3%) Dry Hop
3500g Chinook (11.1%) Dry Hop
2724g Glacier (6.1%) Dry Hop

The boil time is 1:30 and I'm assuming in this sheet they are counting up vs. down in most recipes I'm used to seeing. If you need anymore information i'll give whatever I've got. The mash and sparge temps are here but I didn't think they'd change much but i could be wrong.

It's 1550 gallons (1bbl = 31 gallons). Just divide everything by 310 to get the measurements for a 5 gal batch.

9# 2row
.5# Cara 8
2 oz Cara 20
2 oz Pauls Med

Thanks Slimer. This is what I've come up with a converted hop schedule. I'd round to a nice amount but I to see if it looked right before I order some ingredients.

.38oz Columbus (12.2%) FWH
.322oz Cascade (6.3%) 1:10
.322oz Cascade (6.3%) 1:20
1oz Cascade (6.3%) WP
.62oz Cascade (6.3%) Dry Hop
.40oz Chinook (11.1%) Dry Hop
.31oz Glacier (6.1%) Dry Hop

Please keep in mind that hops do not linearly scale. In fact, you consider increasing the hops amounts, because home breweries usually experience lower utilization percentages than commercial breweries.

It's a *****, but there's really no way to predict it. No formula, no software; just making educated guesses. ;)

Good luck!

Bob

Please keep in mind that hops do not linearly scale. In fact, you consider increasing the hops amounts, because home breweries usually experience lower utilization percentages than commercial breweries.

It's a *****, but there's really no way to predict it. No formula, no software; just making educated guesses. ;)

Good luck!

Bob

Thanks, I was thinking of upping the amounts a little. Such as rounding the .3oz's to .5 oz to make it nice and even. I'm really looking forward to brewing this as this is my first clone attempt of any beer and would love to make something close since I have the actual recipe used.

Back