New DIY Randall Bad taste??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfidaho20

Reaction score
I just built a randall for myself to give my double IPA a hop flavor and aroma boost. So I built the standard DIY randall with the whole house filter and added 2oz of Amarillo. The results were amazing hop aroma, which seemed like i was smelling straight into a bag of freshly opened Amarillo hops but the taste is completely different. The bitterness is tamed and almost sweet resin taste. So my question is should I waste my time seeing if it will get better with the hops soaked for longer or don't was any more beer and pull the randall now? I appreciate any help

At that temperature I don't think you can expect to extract anything more than the most volatile components, which are usually associated with aroma.
But I don't get why the flavor would be so significantly impacted - I'd like to compare a Randall to an accelerated in-keg dry hopping of sorts, which I don't find to impact flavor in any negative fashion.

Is it possible the hops are stripping flavor compounds right out of the beer? Seems unlikely, but there must be some explanation for what you're experiencing...

Cheers!

At that temperature I don't think you can expect to extract anything more than the most volatile components, which are usually associated with aroma.
But I don't get why the flavor would be so significantly impacted - I'd like to compare a Randall to an accelerated in-keg dry hopping of sorts, which I don't find to impact flavor in any negative fashion.

Is it possible the hops are stripping flavor compounds right out of the beer? Seems unlikely, but there must be some explanation for what you're experiencing...

Cheers!
Thanks for the advice. As much as I would love to figure it out and try and improve it. I think im just going to pull the randall out for this batch especially with how much it foams even being in the kegerator, I just hate to waste anymore beer, especially with the biggest beer I've brewed.
Thanks anyway Cheers!

Don't bite my head off for asking this, but you don't actually have a filter element in the housing, right?

Sorry...Had to ask ;)

Cheers!

Don't bite my head off for asking this, but you don't actually have a filter element in the housing, right?

Sorry...Had to ask ;)

Cheers!

Haha no big deal but yes I don't blame you for thinking of the obvious which is always first to be overlooked but no its not. I have no idea what might of happened but I pulled the randall out and I believe it is the hops. For whatever reason maybe it was because cold beer was ran through it and it just didn't extract the same characteristics if it was at 68 degrees. Or if I just got unlucky and got a bad batch of hops, I have no idea but ill just have to try something else with another beer.

Back