Labels stuck in with milk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Ok, not sure if I talking out of my A$$, but I thought I read somewhere you can adhere labels on your beer bottles with milk, is this true?

If so, can someone explain how it's done? I would imagine it would damage the label by making it soggy or something

It works really well. Don't dip the label in or it will get to wet and soggy. What I do is put like a table spoon of milk in a little dish. I use whole milk it has more proteins to glue it. Then I take my finger dip it in the milk and coat the back of the label with a thin layer. Place and align on bottle the let it dry. All done just don't put the bottles in a cooler of ice they will come off once wet.

Also use a laser color printer not an ink jet as any dampness will make them run.

Yep it works quite well until your beers are tossed in a cooler with ice :)

Cool, thx for the tip. Any other ways to do it that's also not tough to remove?

I'm thinking of designing some labels and having staples print them, anyone know of they print laser or inkjet?

I dip the lables in so that they are pretty much 'floating' on top of the milk. Then I take them out, put them on the bottles and wipe with a paper towel. They stick really good except for if they are stored in a cooler with ice. They come off real easy with either warm/hot water. PS I use skim milk with no issues.

Yep it works quite well until your beers are tossed in a cooler with ice :)

I found even putting them into the fridge to chill and then taking them out (so that the bottles sweat) caused lots of issues with the labels when I tried using it. More effort than it's worth IMO.

I use an Elmer's glue stick like the kids get for school. It's water-soluble so comes off easily for bottle reuse. The drawback is sticking the bottles in a cooler, but this time of year, no problem.
Susie

Oh, why didn't I think if the Elmer's glue stick!? My kid's have them everywhere in the house.

I'll have to try that as well. Thx!

Back