Rookie Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UWbucky

Reaction score
First time hop grower, first started thread, but several questions:

I received my plants from a neighbor down the street and we literally took a spade and cut some roots and shoots right out of the ground and this is what I have started in my backyard. Centennial, Cascade and Nugget.

My cascades have taken the best, the tallest are over 9 feet. I have about a dozen bines, more than 8 of them are over 7 feet. Should I expect cones this year? If so when, none yet but i didn't plant these until two weeks before Memorial Day.

Also, since there are so many growing together, they are intertwined all up to about 4-5 feet, then I have them individually spread out from there up. Will the intertangling affect getting cones, if I do get them?

I have a centennial that shot up to 4 feet quick and thick, then just stopped. Our landlord has a yard service that sprays for broad leaf weeds, that I was not able to stop before knowing about, and this seemed to coincide with their arrest in growth. However, there are 3 bines and only one died, the others just stayed green and hung out. Now several weeks later they are just barely starting to grow again. BUT, could this also be from the fact they are planted in and around grass (having a tightly packed root system, and maybe more clay soil under that?)

The nugget was a fiasco, but after several failed attempts, a rabbit and squirrel attack I have one bine that is about 2-3 feet tall. It didn't really start taking off until July. What should I expect from this plant? Anything? cones? Will this have a crown for next season? What goes on after the growing season, will this turn out more bines next year?

Finally, I used miracle grow twice this season. Is that ok? more or less? And I have used a Schultz home & garden insecticide, the active ingredient is pyerithins. Any comment on that? Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks for your help in advanced.

UWbucky

Don't count on cones, but it sounds like they're doing well, so you may get some. 1st year is all about root development.

Intertangling is fine, as far as I know, aside from blocking out each other's sun.

Under grass & in clay aren't ideal, but could be broad-leaf weed killer too. The dry WI summer hasn't helped either. 3 outa 4 ain't bad :)

Nugget will be fine next year. Leave it alone.

Don't know about miracle grow. Pyerithins are extremely common, but bad, IMO. Bee killer. I love bees. I avoid. Plenty of solid organic options out there, IMO, but that's totally up to each garderner to decide for himself.

Thanks for the info Ty.

I should have waited another couple days, I now have burs! Looks like cones are coming on the cascade! There are not many burs below my 'entanglement zone' anyway, so no big deal there.

I think I will try to move those centennials out of that environment to a more hospitable place.

Thanks for the info on the pyeritherins, only killing the bees that are trying to make nest under my deck.

Cheers.

burs 2.jpg

burs 1.jpg

My first year columbus is 18' tall and still growing several inches/day and my first year centennial is 16' and is currently growing at a faster rate than the columbus, but I am yet to see any burs. Itching to see a little first year production...

Back