Sun Oxygen Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
Anyone use Sun Oxygen Cleaner to clean bottles, buckets and carboys? I just recently changed to this because it's way cheaper then Oxiclean. The only difference is I don't get any soap like suds.

Its the same stuff... Its just the dollar store version! And yes, it is a lot cheaper.

I heard some one mention it on the forum saying its as good as oxiclean. i just bought some also and its a lot cheaper than oxiclean. hey but when i put it a bucket with water i do get a lot of foam. but i have yet to clean any of my brewing equipment with it.

I've used it for cleaning the carboy, buckets, and bottles. It works great, you can get a huge tub at Big Lots or the dollar stores for much less than Oxy, and I have not noticed any difference in its ability to do the job.

It's my go to. Love it. As far as the foam goes... add it to the water, not vice-versa.

It is sodium bicarbonate and sodium percarbonate - oxygen bleach - and exactly what oxyclean free is without the additives - yes even oxyclean free has additives. Sun cleaner works great on its own and is really cheap, I buy(ninja edit) 6 tubs at a time.

You can get it even cheaper if you mix your own by buying bulk baking soda and bulk sodium percarbonate online from a chemicals supplier. But that seems like too much work for me.

To make home made PBW I do the following:

Mix 1 part sun oxygen cleaner with 1 part Tri Sodium Phosphate(TSP) or the substitute both of which you can buy in any hardware store.

It works great to clean brewing gear and I have even used it to get that nasty odor out of running clothing.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

+1 same stuff. That's what I use and I recall buying my large tub of it at Wallyworld. Cheaper than Oxyclean and works the same. I use it in conjuction with TSP(trisodium phosphate) and let things soak in pretty hot water for at least a few hours. It seems to do the trick.

beerloaf

I use it for all my cleaning. Works great. Removes even the most stubborn krausen rings.

"To make home made PBW I do the following:

Mix 1 part sun oxygen cleaner with 1 part Tri Sodium Phosphate(TSP) or the substitute both of which you can buy in any hardware store."

When I was doing some painting, it turned out Zinsser no longer recommends using TSP in surface prep because it can leave a chalky residue if not thoroughly rinsed. If PBW contains TSP, maybe straight Oxiclean or Sun Oxygen Cleaner would be better, to avoid any chalky residue.

i pay 4 bucks for 6 pounds

I'm going to have to visit my local dollar store then..Now can anyone answer on how well this works for the laundry? My wife swears by Oxyclean when washing clothes. We basically buy bulk and she uses it for house cleaning/ laundry and I use it for the Brewery.

the chemical reaction in oxygen bleach - the reaction between water and the two main ingredients( sodium bicarbonate and sodium per-carbonate) is what does the cleaning. oxyclean just has some fragrances and a tiny bit of surfactant( I believe). These things you don't want in your fermenter or bottles. It will do your wife's bidding at a cheaper price.

Has anyone used the 50/50 mix of sun oxygen cleaner & T.S.P. on a chugger pump or a plate chiller plus all the hoses used to pump the liquid from keggles to pump & chillers ? :confused:

Wow i was just going to ask the same question about the Dollar store knock off varietal. :) Thanks for doing my bidding for me. Off to the dollar store :)

I use the sun oxygen cleaner and think it works just about as good as oxiclean. Especially considering the price difference sun is a better choice. The oxiclean brand seems to work a little faster on some cleaning jobs, I wouldn't say it cleans any better though. The cheaper sun is good for most everything on its own, including removing bottle labels. If I need some extra cleaning power or just want to quicken things up for a shorter soak to clean bottles (say an hour or two rather than overnight) I use TSP Substitute Cleaner (such as red devil TSP/90 = Sodium Metasilicate, Pentahydrate) mixed with the sun oxygen cleaner. I use 70% sun oxy with 30% TSP Substitute.

The sodium metasilicate I get from Menards is Sunnyside Phosphate-Free TSP Substitute Cleaner. A thought I have about the 50/50 mix suggested to make the "home made" version on PBW, info from Five Star msds sheet says it is 30% Sodium Metasilicate, so while 50/50 mix might work great 70/30 makes more since if you're goal is to re-create PBW the best you can do is mix a 96oz tub of the Sun Oxygen Cleaner with 41.16oz of TSP/90. PBW has some other things in to also, but the 70%, 30% mix works well and quickly on all jobs I've had. Most of the TSP sub cleaners I've seen have some sort of do not use on glass statement on the label. If some of you haven't had problems with it in a 50/50 mix still might be ok, but be aware using too much of the TSP for bottles or glass carboys might cause problems.

Just to avoid a bit of misinformation we'll always find on forums....
Earlier post list sun ingredients as sodium bicarbonate and sodium percarbonate and that it and oxiclean are the same thing. They are not really the same, looking at ingredients the oxiclean should be closer to PBW than the sun if you're not wanting to bother mixing anything.
Ingredients of Sun Oxygen Cleaner are Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Carbonate Peroxide.
Ingredients Disclosure for OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover and OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Free is
Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Percarbonate, C12-15 Alcohol Ethoxylate, Sodium Metasilicate, Acrylic Acid Homopolymer, Fragrance* and Colorant*, (*last two are not in OxiClean free) Another side note; OxiClean Baby list same ingredients as the sun cleaner.

Not that it really matters I guess, I don't know the differences in these chemicals they sound very similar. There may or may not be a different oxygen type cleaner that list sodium bicarbonate and sodium percarbonate as the ingredients. I somewhat re-call reading that Sodium Precarbonate is just another term for the same chemical as Sodium Carbonate Peroxide or maybe I made that up. Just a point I wanted to share that it is best everyone do their own research to make your own choices and just use these threads as a guide in what you're looking for. In particular for this subject msds sheets and ingredient disclosure list are easy to get with a quick google search and you can see what the differences are in the brand names and some of the similar off-brands.

Back