beersmith question ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatsus02

Reaction score
i haven't determined if this beersmith program is something you buy and they give you a hard copy or if it is something downloaded off the internet. I would like the hard copy since I have download issues sometimes. any help:confused:confused:

my LHBS has actual discs for sale. I downloaded my copy though.

You could try downloading the free trial...which is actually the full version with a time limit. If you like it, you buy the key to keep using it.

Downloaded it. Best thing I've done for my brewing to date. I get to feel like I am into the hobby from my computer even when it's not brew day!

i haven't determined if this beersmith program is something you buy and they give you a hard copy or if it is something downloaded off the internet. I would like the hard copy since I have download issues sometimes. any help:confused:confused:

One thing you can do is download it from the Internet then save a copy of it to an external device such as a USB-key or CD-ROM.

I downloaded my copy from Beersmith.com and then I purchased a license key from them that they sent to my email.

Downloading directly from the software creator is a good idea because you'll get the most recent version of the program that way.

I purchased and downloaded. I keep it installed on a USB key in "Portable Mode" so it's always on hand where I need it, at work, at home, in the garage. Wherever my key is, I can run it!

i did downloaded it and it is great what a time saver, i can now use my ideas in a structured format. next to build a MLT if I only can find a 10 gal igloo cooler.

So if I buy Beersmith is it the $22 per year or is that it and once you have it on your computer you're good to go?

So if I buy Beersmith is it the $22 per year or is that it and once you have it on your computer you're good to go?

Once you buy it you're good to go... that is until they release another major revision.

From the beersmith FAQ page:

What is your Update/Upgrade Policy?

All minor version updates (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc...) are provided free of charge to registered users. Major upgrades (i.e. Version 1.4 to version 2.0) will require a new registration.

And they have a new major release planned for "spring" that has been "close" to release for 2 years now. Stuck between a rock and a hard place (hard headed developer?) with no options for any sort of upgrade protection.

They could literally release version 2.0 tomorrow and he still wants a fee to upgrade.

Has me looking hard at beer tools pro even though I don't like it as much. Ugh.

He could release 2.0 tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. I am pretty sure it's been longer than 2 years since the last update, too. In fact I think 1.4 came out almost 4 years ago...

Yes, it seems like it won't be coming out soon in reality and i wouldnt expect anything before fall. As a someone who doesn't have money invested yet, it is still an annoying possibility.

Back