Bad beer, temperature and aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to brewing and have read many threads on this wonderful site after finding it a week ago. I am having a problem with cidery, harsh flavor, you might call it green apple.

I brewed my first beer and went by the advice of the local homebrew shop. It was cream ale and I was told one week in primary, one week in secondary and bottle. I waited two weeks it was horrible. Very cidery to say the leaset. This was about 8 months ago. They told me leave it in the bottles it will get better I poured it all out, never got better.

I decided to try again after a freind of mine gave me all of his equipment. So now having three primary fermentors and four carboys I decided to try again. The second beer I did the same way, one week primary, one week secondary and bottled. Two weeks later it tasted like the same beer as I had done before but this was a wheat beer. The locals guys convinced me that I had a bacteria is why the first one was bad but there is no way this has one. I boiled every drop of water that touched anything. I used starsan to sanitize and everything was sanitized.

While I was waiting on the wheat in the bottle I brewed two more and was unaware of the off flavor of the wheat in the bottle. After tasting the second beer I went to the store and bought some books.

I did check the actuall fermenting temperature of the two ales that I am doing now and it was 74degrees for both of them and that has been very steady (stout and a Wit beer). I racked them both into secondary fermentors after one week and they have been there for two weeks. I am know thinking that becouse of my high temperature that maybe the extra time in the secondary will help with the Acetaldehyde or off flavors I am tasting?

Sorry this so Long>> Now for my question?

Is my temperature to high for Ale?
Will leaving it for three weeks in secondary help?

I have been considering getting a chest freezer to ferment in because I live in West Texas where it is 90 degrees in December!

And by the way I am done with bottles I bought four kegs and have my keggerator built and ready to go. But I have to get some beer made that is worth putting in there first. I thought that maybe by only cleaning and sanitizing one container it might cut down on my chances of infection or what not.

Any comments, ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Lower ferment temps will reduce that "green apple" taste. 70+ is too high for almost any ale yeast. Lower ferment temps will mean slower fermentation, but fewer off-flavor byproducts. Target the lower end of the yeast manufacturer's recommended range. Most yeast companies will have ideal temps listed on their websites.

Shoot for longer primary times. Don't transfer based on days/weeks/months. Transfer when a hydrometer test says your beer has reached a final gravity. Yeast don't know you're in a hurry to drink beer.

Search on here for information on "long primary". Some people never transfer to a secondary.

First - welcome to the gang!!

Is my temperature to high for Ale?

Yes - way warm for a Wit

Will leaving it for three weeks in secondary help?

always - 1 month is even better

OK #1 you should try to pitch your yeast colder - I'm doing Hefeweizen and I'm hoping to ferment at 62 - in my opinion anything above 70 is too warm. But that might not be the problem.

Could be the recipe? Kit?? Water?? Light colored brews are tough if you have not played with the water. PH can be too high and you will have hops probs .

Don't trust local LHBS guys unless they are a known brewer and not just a guy with a job.

Check out Green Apple flavor http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/apple.shtml

Well I could not stand it, I took some starsan and sanitized the top of my carboys around the airlocks and poured a sample of both out in a small cup. Wow, they are both great! I dont know where I screwed up with the first two. The only thing I did different was these two I used a 7 gallon brew pot and brewed the whole batch at once, starsan and a wort chiller. I think I am going to keg them. I know my temps were to high compared to what they should be but the beer is great. Anyone think there is a need to leave them longer in secondary or keg and carb?

Back