Evaluate this crush please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
beer003.jpg

This was the first crush with my Barley Crusher at factory settings. I ended up with 68% efficiency on this batch and 63% on the next batch. I previously was in the 74%-78% range with AHS's crush. This appeared to be too fine to me and I wanted to get the thoughts of some other AG/BC users as I was certainly expecting an increase in efficiency with my BC, not a decrease.

Thanks!

Without running my hand through it, it's hard to tell. If you spill some onto a dark piece of paper, it'd be easier. It appears to be a nice, even crush. I don't see any flour, though. I like to crush mine to the point where I can just see a little flour. Like Bobby says, crush till it hurts!

Well, it looks like a finer crush than I get, but not excessively so.
I've never heard of a finer crush resulting in reduced efficiency, unless it results in a stuck sparge. I don't think the grain crush is responsible for your efficiency decrease.

-a.

The pic is hard to tell exactly...but I'd say it looks fine. I crush really fine though--I get lots of flour. My efficiency is always 86% batch sparging.

Batch sparge or fly sparge?

With only 60s-70s%, you need to start checking some other things too though.

If there are any whole kernals at all, you could crush it finer. But I agree that it doesn't look that bad at all. Certainly not enough to warrant that big of a drop in efficiency. Are you weighing out your own grain now? Every "1 pound" bad of grain that I've recieved is a little over. That would have artificially inflated your efficiency on past brews. Has anything else about your brewing changed?

The crush look good from here too.

Efficiency issues may also result from inadequate Calcium in the brew water (are you using RO?), and pH (some 5.2 stabilizer may help).......

I'd say crush more, and crush more again. Crush more until you get a stuck sparge......then back it off;)

Well, it looks like a finer crush than I get, but not excessively so.
I've never heard of a finer crush resulting in reduced efficiency, unless it results in a stuck sparge. I don't think the grain crush is responsible for your efficiency decrease.

-a.

I wouldn't think so either, but I went from consistantly being in the mid to high 70's (sometimes in the 80's) to the 60's using the BC.

The pic is hard to tell exactly...but I'd say it looks fine. I crush really fine though--I get lots of flour. My efficiency is always 86% batch sparging.

Batch sparge or fly sparge?

With only 60s-70s%, you need to start checking some other things too though.

I batch sparge. Nothing in my process has changed, equipment remains the same. BC/weighing out my own grain is the only variable that I can see.

If there are any whole kernals at all, you could crush it finer. But I agree that it doesn't look that bad at all. Certainly not enough to warrant that big of a drop in efficiency. Are you weighing out your own grain now? Every "1 pound" bad of grain that I've recieved is a little over. That would have artificially inflated your efficiency on past brews. Has anything else about your brewing changed?

Yes, I'm weighing out my own grain. Nothing else has changed.

The crush look good from here too.

Efficiency issues may also result from inadequate Calcium in the brew water (are you using RO?), and pH (some 5.2 stabilizer may help).......

I'd say crush more, and crush more again. Crush more until you get a stuck sparge......then back it off;)

I'm not using RO water and never have. Nor have I ever used pH stabilizer..

I guess I'll see how my porter ends up this weekend and report back...

Your crush looks fine to me as well. I agree with everyone else, adjust it down until you're scared! Then adjust it a little more.

I reran some LHBS grain through my brand new barleycrusher just because I wanted to use my new toy, and I got a slightly stuck sparge. I blame that on doing a double decoction though, since it got all gooey and runny.

I don't see any flour in there. Looks a bit coarse to me. Also, are you sure your scale is right?

I don't see any flour in there. Looks a bit coarse to me. Also, are you sure your scale is right?

I haven't calibrated the scale, but I could do so fairly easily and will before I brew on Saturday.

Sorry if it seems that I'm hotting the panic button here because I'm not doing so just yet. It's just a bit frustrating. Hopefully things will improve for me this weekend. I'm planning on adding another 1.5 lbs of pale to compensate just in case (Which means that now I'll probably hit 85% and totally overshoot my target gravity).

I'll post pics of my next crush and results from the brew session.

What I noticed with my mill is that the kernels get crushed, but a lot of them remain still inside the husk. Unless the husks are actually shed from the kernel, it's almost impossible to extract the sugars. I typically run my grain through a second time and this finishes the job and actually separates the kernel from the husk. This is the principle behind the 3 roller mills that some places sell.

Is this the exact same grain you were using before? Same malster? Same batch? If the gravity potential of the grain falls even just a few points and you don't account for it in your recipe, your efficiency will appear to significantly change. It may appear like your efficiency went down, but in reality, everything is exactly the same. For instance, if you count on the grain giving you 37 PPG and your normal efficiency is 75%, but you get a new batch of grain that only gives 34 PPG and you don't change anything else, it will appear as though your efficiency fell by 6%. Just a thought.

Prosit!

What I noticed with my mill is that the kernels get crushed, but a lot of them remain still inside the husk. Unless the husks are actually shed from the kernel, it's almost impossible to extract the sugars. I typically run my grain through a second time and this finishes the job and actually separates the kernel from the husk. This is the principle behind the 3 roller mills that some places sell.

Is this the exact same grain you were using before? Same malster? Same batch? If the gravity potential of the grain falls even just a few points and you don't account for it in your recipe, your efficiency will appear to significantly change. It may appear like your efficiency went down, but in reality, everything is exactly the same. For instance, if you count on the grain giving you 37 PPG and your normal efficiency is 75%, but you get a new batch of grain that only gives 34 PPG and you don't change anything else, it will appear as though your efficiency fell by 6%. Just a thought.

Prosit!

The first batch (68% Amber Ale) was grain from AHS that was already weighed out for me. The second batch (63% single decoction Hefe)was the first time I weighed on my own from a bulk purchase from the Grape and Granary.

I'll run in through a second time this weekend. It can't hurt, right?

Its hard to tell from your picture, but do I see some whole kernels left in your grist? I do see a lot of white, though, which is good. If you have any whole kernels left then the rollers need to be tightend or the grain is old and not brittle enough to crushed.

FWIW, here are a few pics of the crush I get from my Barley Crusher. I get 85% efficiency batch sparging.

Crush_3.jpg

Crush_2.jpg

Here are some pics of the crush that I just did for my brew session tomorrow. Hopefully this show a bit more detail than my previous photos.

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

I would say crush as fine as possible untill you get a stuck mash then take it back a little use a feeler gague to see what it is then move it back slow but I got my BC and bairley changed it and I get 85-87% on all of my brews even with a lot of adjuncts
just a thought good luck
Z

Well I got 78% efficiency on my brew Saturday. It's still not what I was hoping for, but it's certainly better than 63%.

I tweaked mine (BC) down a tad and upped the efficiency to 82%. Not certain this was THE factor, but I'm keeping it there for next time.

Back