MA license question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBBC13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Before the thread gets derided, I'm not looking to start a microbrewery business, this is just a passionate hobby. But, I've been looking into getting a permit for small brewing and selling. I'd love nothing more than to find one of the local restaurants and have them sell my beer as a "local" brand.

But, as I've been looking into the process, I've been stumbling over the "surety bond" that is required. (I'm a scientist, not a business person). Has anyone looked into this or have knowledge on the term? Is this just a policy you take out with a $3000 limit of liability or do you have to actually pony up 3 grand?

I have a $5000 surety bond for a different MA license. It costs me $50 each renewal, no other fees. Contact your local insurance company for information

A surety bond for the brewing license is simply an "insurance policy" for the state and feds that you're going to pay your excise taxes. If you don't, they go looking for the insurance company that issued the bond.

You don't have to pony up the $3k. It is a faction of that. I think we have a $5k surety bond and it wasn't that expensive.

I think a problem you may run into is the cost of a license. Mass has a Section 19 license that allows brewers to distribute an unlimited amount and it costs $6,000 - $10,000.00. Then there is 19C farmer-brewer license, which is much cheaper, but has several requirements. And I believe you can only sell at retail locations, if you can get them to give your beer shelf space, I am not sure if you could sell to restaurants.

If you haven't check out Chapter 138, sections 18 & 19 of the Mass General Laws.

Hope you can work it out, good luck!

Getting a Farmer-Brewer license right now is very easy and they've stripped all of the "must grow your own ingredients" out of the requirements. For a tiny nano, the fee is $22 a year. The Farmer-Brewer (19c) allows you to sell to any licensed establishment on a wholesale basis without needing a distributor. That includes liquor stores, bars, restaurants, etc. You can also sell vessels that are filled on demand to be sold off-premisis (aka. Growlers) out of the brewery itself. To pour free samples, you need an additional Pourer's license from the ABCC and your local town government. It will NOT allow you to charge for a beer that someone can sit at the brewery and drink.

I started a thread on this not too long ago. Take a look.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/i-went-pro-what-actually-takes-do-so-386476/

Back