Have I made a cider keg bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnovsky

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Clearly a noob though have an important question.

Will my cider explode? Haha

For Xmas I received a mr beer premium brewing kit. However I like cider and heard it is easier to make. I researched as much as possible and probably should have asked this before I started however was excited and just went with it.

My process: I sanitized the keg and everything involved. Filled the '2 gallon' Mr Beer keg with 8L of store bought apple juice (Approx 2.1 gallons which doesn't make sense though it was to the same level of liquid used for making beer (as per me beer instructions). And I used no added sugar, preservatives, flavours or colors 99.9% reconstituted apple juice.

So. Should I have put less juice in or maybe topped it up to 2gallon point with water? Has cider got higher sugar therefore more gas when fermenting?
If so can I just empty some out via the tap on the keg?

I am new and don't want to make the first experience a negative one.

Thanks!

It will not explode as long as you are releasing the pressure somehow during fermentation (using an airlock for example)

The mr beer kegs aren't airtight there is slits cut in it between the treads on the keg top. If they get clogged it can blow the top off so I wouldn't screw the lid tightly on but tighten then crack it just loose.

Thanks guys! It is very reassuring.

Does my method sound okay? Do you think it will make a sweet cider?

Thanks guys! It is very reassuring.

Does my method sound okay? Do you think it will make a sweet cider?

Get a hydrometer ...but ultimately you control if its sweet on not....via stopping fermentation or backsweeting

Latest posts

Back