Grain Absorption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
I just did a batch today, I used 7.88 lbs 2 lbs of two row and 7 lbs of optic with 14oz of other grains. In my mash I lost 3quarts of water,that seems high. My absorption ratio was .381, what I have seen on other posts was that the range should be about .125 qt per lb any suggestions

thats seems right to me .... i assumed i lost 1 gl per 10# so u have about 8# and lost .75 of a gl ?

Thank's to all the replies. I guess I got it wrong with the .125 qt thing.

I just did a batch today, I used 7.88 lbs 2 lbs of two row and 7 lbs of optic with 14oz of other grains. In my mash I lost 3quarts of water,that seems high. My absorption ratio was .381, what I have seen on other posts was that the range should be about .125 qt per lb any suggestions

You had roughly 15.5 lbs of grain, so if you lost 3 quarts that's pretty dang good. That's only .048 gallons per lb. I lose about .1 gallons per lb (which is pretty normal).. So with all of this said; are you sure it was 3 quarts you lost or was it 3 gallons?

Stauffbier said:
You had roughly 15.5 lbs of grain, so if you lost 3 quarts that's pretty dang good. That's only .048 gallons per lb. I lose about .1 gallons per lb (which is pretty normal).. So with all of this said; are you sure it was 3 quarts you lost or was it 3 gallons?

I thought that at first too. But I think its 7.88# then he says what kind of grain and how much

The numbers arent adding up. was it 7.88 pounds total or the sum of what you listed. If so that would be 9 Lbs 14 Oz and 3 qts loss would be good according to all I have read. Hope this helps.
Bob

Rbeckett said:
The numbers arent adding up. was it 7.88 pounds total or the sum of what you listed. If so that would be 9 Lbs 14 Oz and 3 qts loss would be good according to all I have read. Hope this helps.
Bob

Im thinking he meant 5#optic. That plus 2# plus 14oz = 7.88?

Stauff, it is a total of 7.88lbs

Back