The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This'd be the first time I ever heard of WLP001 throwing off raspberry!

Anyway she probably just didn't have sufficient vocab to describe what she was tasting.

Waitress at flying saucer: "What would you like to drink?"
Friend: "I don't know what would you suggest?" (At waitress)
Waitress at saucer: "well we have blah, blah, blah."
Friend: "Does it taste like Bud Light?"

I get the point of this thread. I just think that some of this is turning into straight snobbery. When people do not know the process or styles well they are not stupid, just ignorant on the subject. IMO this thread is starting to reflect poorly on beer and homebrewing culture.

bubbachunk said:
I get the point of this thread. I just think that some of this is turning into straight snobbery. When people do not know the process or styles well they are not stupid, just ignorant on the subject. IMO this thread is starting to reflect poorly on beer and homebrewing culture.

Lighten up. Ribbing the keystone crowd never hurt anybody. Except perhaps Keith Stone...

EdMerican said:
Lighten up. Ribbing the keystone crowd never hurt anybody. Except perhaps Keith Stone...

Keith Stone... the Most Interesting Man... in Pennsylvania.

Keith Stone... the Most Interesting Man... in Pennsylvania.

I had never heard of Keith Stone except on Keystone bilboards, so I finally looked him up on Wikipedia. Now I know why I'd never heard of him before: He was made up by Coors to market Keystone.

Does that count as a stupid comment on someone else's beer? :ban:

Only one person would dare.to give me a raspberry!

180155915.gif

Hegh said:
I had never heard of Keith Stone except on Keystone bilboards, so I finally looked him up on Wikipedia. Now I know why I'd never heard of him before: He was made up by Coors to market Keystone.

Does that count as a stupid comment on someone else's beer? :ban:

I think this comment makes the list

Had my stout at a party and lots of people were drinking it. Went up to a lady with a bottle in her hand, I asked her what she thought. She said "yeah, I just brewed this one up" I just smiled and walked away.

You are a better man than I. I would have probably punched her right in the babymaker.

I gave a couple to a friend, a simple brown and a simple pale. He raved to everyone about the pale and told everyone the brown was way too strong, with escalating abv guesses topping out around 12%. The brown was a smooth but hoppy 4.2% and the pale was a mistake and was 7.5% with a noticeable dactyl (sp?) bitter, slippery aftertaste.

He literally kept saying I was mistaken in which beer had what abv. :-/

I gave a couple to a friend, a simple brown and a simple pale. He raved to everyone about the pale and told everyone the brown was way too strong, with escalating abv guesses topping out around 12%. The brown was a smooth but hoppy 4.2% and the pale was a mistake and was 7.5% with a noticeable dactyl (sp?) bitter, slippery aftertaste.

diacetyl

Well, just remember that your friend is ALWAYS right. Regardless of the situation. Even if you brew it, he still knows more about the specifics of the beer.

As the Buddha says: "The lack of expectations is the lack of disappointment" (or something like that)

zegolf said:
Gave a witbier to a friend. Asked him what he thought. His response?

"Tastes like Yuengling"

Really?

Maybe it was the pilsener malt flavor. Early on in my beer drinking I tasted Oberon and said it tasted like Pilsner Urquell. It was the only other beer I had that tasted like saaz.

Not on my beer, but too dumb not to share:

Went to Aviator brewing yesterday and took the tour. It was very crowded, and quite a few of the folks on the tour had been imbibing before the tour. At the start of the tour, the guide starts handing out handfuls of barley and encouraging people to try eating some. The two drunks beside me, upon receiving a handful of grain, asked, "So is this the hops?"

Seriously? I can understand not being able to recognize hops, but you should recognize that you've just been handed a grain.

When they did hand out the hops (seriously, he had a big bag full of whole centennial hops and just started handing out handfuls; I considered put them in my pocket) the guys asked if they could eat those. I really wanted to see that.

RedGuitar said:
When they did hand out the hops (seriously, he had a big bag full of whole centennial hops and just started handing out handfuls; I considered put them in my pocket) the guys asked if they could eat those. I really wanted to see that.

You should have told them to smoke it.

A lot of BMC types are so wound up about "bitter beer" that they just can't take anything hoppy.
Some of the same folks are the ones that drink sludgey bottom-of-the-pot coffee and chew the grounds, but suddenly they turn into little girls at the idea of a properly hopped brew.

A lot of BMC types are so wound up about "bitter beer" that they just can't take anything hoppy.
Some of the same folks are the ones that drink sludgey bottom-of-the-pot coffee and chew the grounds, but suddenly they turn into little girls at the idea of a properly hopped brew.

Mmmm. I love hoppy beers AND sludgy bottom-of-the-pot been sitting all day coffee. It's what's getting me through college.

"don't want anymore of that apricot crap! Why don't you drink a real beer!" seriously?? Like I would ever brew a beer that tastes like apricot

Not on my beer, but too dumb not to share:

Went to Aviator brewing yesterday and took the tour. It was very crowded, and quite a few of the folks on the tour had been imbibing before the tour. At the start of the tour, the guide starts handing out handfuls of barley and encouraging people to try eating some. The two drunks beside me, upon receiving a handful of grain, asked, "So is this the hops?"

Seriously? I can understand not being able to recognize hops, but you should recognize that you've just been handed a grain.

This presupposes that the person knows that hops AREN'T a grain. I have known intelligent people who were uneducated about beer and asked me if they were a type of grain, some other type of plant life or something else altogether.

As to the eating hops thing... heheh... One pub that I brewed for had a server who liked to talk, a lot, and he knew something about everything... I was busy one day and he was pestering me asking questions that I didn't have time to answer. What I was doing at that very moment was measuring hops for the day's two brews... not a time to be distracted. He made a comment about the hop pellets, something about he liked the taste of hops and could you actually eat them outside the beer... heheh wicked wheels turn fast... "sure," I said popping a Chinook pellet into my mouth. I chipmunked it and pretended to chew. "Here, try some..." I put three or four more of the Chinook pellets into his hand, my assistant was grinning like a opossum. The server popped those pellets into his mouth and began chewing like crazy... in about 3 seconds he was bending over the trash can, gagging and spitting... My assistant and I were literally doubled over laughing. Kid was a good sport about it though, once the wretching stopped, he got kind of red faced, " I guess I had that coming... I won't bother you when you're busy..." :D

Now THATS a good gag. Hehe. Actually, put me in the brew kettle with the people who didnt know you couldnt eat hops. I suppose thats why you never see it along brussels sprouts :drunk:
This presupposes that the person knows that hops AREN'T a grain. I have known intelligent people who were uneducated about beer and asked me if they were a type of grain, some other type of plant life or something else altogether.

As to the eating hops thing... heheh... One pub that I brewed for had a server who liked to talk, a lot, and he knew something about everything... I was busy one day and he was pestering me asking questions that I didn't have time to answer. What I was doing at that very moment was measuring hops for the day's two brews... not a time to be distracted. He made a comment about the hop pellets, something about he liked the taste of hops and could you actually eat them outside the beer... heheh wicked wheels turn fast... "sure," I said popping a Chinook pellet into my mouth. I chipmunked it and pretended to chew. "Here, try some..." I put three or four more of the Chinook pellets into his hand, my assistant was grinning like a opossum. The server popped those pellets into his mouth and began chewing like crazy... in about 3 seconds he was bending over the trash can, gagging and spitting... My assistant and I were literally doubled over laughing. Kid was a good sport about it though, once the wretching stopped, he got kind of red faced, " I guess I had that coming... I won't bother you when you're busy..." :D

I've never tried eating hops... And since I'm not one to take anyone's word for anything, I'll have to take a nibble :D

And now I want to feed hops to somebody. But who? Hmmm... Maybe one of SWMBO's friends or family members...

My 13 year old took a pellet of Hallertau and popped it into his mouth before I could stop him last brew day. I believe he tied the land-speed record getting to the kitchen sink for water! After he could talk again, he said, and I quote "I thought you said that hopps make beer taste better, dad"! I guess kids have to learn the hard way.....

my dad tried a hop pellet when he was helping me brew a few weeks ago. he didn't show much of a reaction, but i think he was a little drunk

Oh heck I love it when my friends who all drink BMC tell me how much they do not like my beer but my cooler is the first one empty with their help.

Once again I have to chime in and just say that while I know friends get to be more honest than strangers, some of the things friends have said about brews here just seems rude as all hell. Maybe I just have awesome friends, but any mead or food I have made I have had to expressly say "be brutal, or I'll make it again" because they will politely say "huh, that tastes really interesting." I cant imagine any one of my friends, let alone myself, refering to the fruits of someone's labors as "elk's ass."

Maybe people's friends just have a different system for teasing...

Once again I have to chime in and just say that while I know friends get to be more honest than strangers, some of the things friends have said about brews here just seems rude as all hell. Maybe I just have awesome friends, but any mead or food I have made I have had to expressly say "be brutal, or I'll make it again" because they will politely say "huh, that tastes really interesting." I cant imagine any one of my friends, let alone myself, refering to the fruits of someone's labors as "elk's ass."

Man I just spewed coffee out my nose. Years and years ago I remember drinking something called Bear Whizz beer. I still got a glass from it somewhere

c0cff8c4fdriends.png-450x443.png

"It was clear as anything man, and tasted like a Wee Heavy which I like!"

Fella, I gave you a milk porter. It's the color of tar.

Back