First All Grain today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 145F, you will have problems with starch gelatinization. This means the starchs won't go into solution and get converted to sugars. I'd add some hotter water to bring the temperature up. Better a thin mash than poor conversion.

I added a some 170 water, but the temp still didn't get up to 150. I've taken some of the wort off and put in a pan on the stove to heat and put back.... I've got a burner installed under the mashtun, but not sure if I should direct heat it.. figure this is probably safer for an noob like me.

Allan

If your mash tun is a cooler, then don't apply heat. :D
If it is a pot, then you can apply gentle heat while stirring without problems.
But reheating works as well (Can you say decoction?)
-a.

It's a converted keg. I've added the water and it looks ok now. I'll try adding heat next time or heating my mash water more. I expected to screw up here and there, since it's my first. Just hope it come out drinkable. Also, I experienced my firs stuck mash. opened the valve and nothing would come out. Tried sucking on the line, no good. Blew into it, and broke the grain clog up, now it flows good. The boil should kill any of the cooties I've introduced, I hope.

Time to sit back and "don't worry, have a homebrew"...... wait, I have no homebrew....guess I'll settle for a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat.

Allan

Congrats on the first AG! It takes a few batches to get to know your system and where it's going to hit. Typically, my strike water is 20-25* higher than the mash temp I want and it depends on the time of year, amount of grain, etc. So half the time I'm guessing. :p But, it's easier to be a little high than low, you can just stir and get the temp down.

Good advice about gently heating and stirring, can take a little while but if you crank up the burner you'll scorch your wort.

Again, congrats! :mug:

I normally aim high. It's a lot easier to bring the temp down than in is to bring it up. I normally end up about 5 degrees high and have some ice water on hand to drop it to the temp I need. It's been working well for me so far.

Dan

Doh.... When I started transfering into the brewkettle, I accidently left the valve on the kettle open. probably ended up with a couple gallons on the driveway (should't have walked away). I scaled back on my hops a bit, figure I'll check starting gravity and add boiled water if too high.

Allan

howlinowl said:
Doh.... When I started transfering into the brewkettle, I accidently left the valve on the kettle open. probably ended up with a couple gallons on the driveway (should't have walked away). I scaled back on my hops a bit, figure I'll check starting gravity and add boiled water if too high.

Allan

Oh no! We got a man down here, sarge! Man down!

No way to correct that mistake, unless you aim for a thinner beer.

You saw that.... My wife was farting around with the 'puter while I was out. She posted that. Couldn't remove it, was hoping that I fixed it before someone saw it.

Allan

howlinowl said:
You saw that.... My wife was farting around with the 'puter while I was out. She posted that. Couldn't remove it, was hoping that I fixed it before someone saw it.

Allan

And then you tried to lie to us and pretend it was a double, when we all know that the software doesn't allow double-posts.

Shame, Shame. :cross:

Tell wifey-poo that we love her too, schmoopy.

The hits keep on comming.... went to take a hydrometer testing and dropped my hydrometer. I'll just pitch the yeast and hope for the best. This stuff'll probably suck.....nah, probably be the best damn stuff I've ever brewed and I'll never be able to duplicate it.

Allan

Took a look in the fermentation fridge this afternoon.... not much airlock activity, but evidence of krausening can be seen through the translucent sides of the buckets.

At least I didn't choose skydiving as a hobby..... this many screwups and I wouldn't be alive to complain. Amazing how my dry run of a couple weeks before went so well and when I go "live" I screw it up.

Oh, well. We'll see what comes of it. Gotta save some money now and buy more grain and try it again. Might be interesting to see how much different the same recipe turns out with less crashing and burning.

Allan

Chalk it all up to experience. I know it is easy to say for me, but don't let it get you down man! Have one of dem dar brews to settle teh nerves. :tank:

Latest posts

Back