Foamy beer but flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnatp2

Reaction score
I've changed my beer lines to the mcmaster 3/16" LLDPE hard plastic beer lines. I'm using something like 25' of line and I like my beer a bit more carbonated than average. I'm trying to go with 18 psi at 45 degrees. Problem is that the beer comes out of the lines using my perlick faucets extemely foamy (about 3/4 glass foam) and then after the foam settles, the beer is pretty flat. Seems like the co2 comes out of solution in the beer lines and totally kills the carbonation. The beer is good if I take the pressure back down to 10 psi (or lower) and then pour. Any ideas for me? I can't imagine that I need even longer lines!

you are using too much co2. back it down to 10 or 12. I know there is a chart for PSI and temp but never relied on that. If get PSI above 15, i get the same issue you do. Also, you might just need to let it sit under CO2 pressure for a while longer before pouring.

I don't think my beer is carbonated enough at 10-12psi. Other people use higher pressure than that but don't experience this issue. Gotta be a better solution

Simple enough. Your beer line is too short. You increase your pressure, you need to increase your line length. The line you're using is known as a 'low foam line' (uses backpressure generated by the small inside diameter of the hose to help hold the foam in check) -how long is your line? Regardless, add a couple to few more feet and your foam levels should lower, and that will mean the CO2 is still in solution.

Simple enough. Your beer line is too short. You increase your pressure, you need to increase your line length. The line you're using is known as a 'low foam line' (uses backpressure generated by the small inside diameter of the hose to help hold the foam in check) -how long is your line? Regardless, add a couple to few more feet and your foam levels should lower, and that will mean the CO2 is still in solution.

did you even read the OPs original question???

butlerton brings up a great point about temp. if you pour cold beer in a warm glass it will produce excess foam. also, if you have a lot of beer line at room temp it can cause excess foam.

By the way. i carb all my beer at 10-12 psi, ater 4 days its perfect. There are a lot of people who "force carbonate" their beer at high pressure(25-30psi) and some sahke the **** out of their cornies. The pros and cons of this have been discussed a few times. I prefer the couple of days at 10-12 mysel.

i use 6' of 3/8" line at about 40 degrees and 11 psi. i couldn't imagine using 25'; my kegerator would be full of nothing but hose. try backing down the hose length and the pressure

I bet somewhere there is a sharp edge or gap that is causing a lot of turbulence. I'd take a close look at the faucet end, including taking that apart to check for rough spots and edges

I have no fan but my taps are on the front door, not the top so I font think that is an issue.

I know 25' of hose is long but because it is that mcmaster hose which is very rigid, I think it likely provides far less pressure reduction per foot than standard keg hose. I think shortening it would make things even worse

It is possible there is some obstruction, but doubtful since it happen on both my lines ( I have 2 kegs in a sanyo 4912)

On my warm glass issue, yes, the glass is warm when I pour but I can physically see foamy beer coming out of the faucets prior to it hitting the glass. It seems that it is coming out of solution in the lines themselves.

Still stuck and I don't wanna have to leave it at 10-12 psi

Back