Mill owners, time to throw down!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to know what kind of efficiencies you are getting and what kind of mill you have. Post your typical efficiencies for an all-barley (and hops and yeast and water) brew.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for the third roller...

There are a lot of variables that effect efficiency than just the way the grain is crushed. How the mill is adjusted, the type of sparging equipment used, batch vs fly sparging, temperature of the sparge, how much water is used for the mash and sparge all effect efficiency. What I'm trying to say is results may vary.
Having said that, I get about 75 to 80 percent efficiency with my Phil Mill. It is a single roller mill.

Toot said:
It's sounding like 3 roller mills are a little excess for the typical homebrewer then?

Well, that's kind of besides the point around here isn't it. Most of the things we talk about are excessive to a homebrewer. ;)

Lil' Sparky said:
Well, that's kind of besides the point around here isn't it. Most of the things we talk about are excessive to a homebrewer. ;)

I didn't mean to suggest it was a bad thing... :mug:

RichBrewer said:
Well I would think so. How much does something like that cost?

$129 from crankandstein, still needing the hopper and base which I could fabricate for free, really. So like an extra $30-60 depending on how fancy you wanna get with it.

I get about 70 (lowest 68, highest 75) percent efficiency with my Corona knock-off (Porkert) mill. Cost me $20 brand new.

Try milling your grain twice. That is my standard practice. I've noticed that the first pass cracks open the grains but does always shed the husk. You really want your grains loose from the husks for maximum conversion and milling twice can do this nicely without having to upgrade your mill. Just use the same gap setting on each grind pass.

On a side note, judging efficiency as a stand alone number is really misleading. There are a lot of variables that affect it. Most of all, unless you have the specific extract potential for the grain you bought, your efficiency will vary greatly. For instance, Promash says the extract potential for Marris Otter Pale Malt is 37 points per pound per gallon (ppg). Lets say I get a bag that has this exact extract potential and I calculate the my efficiency for a brew session and it comes out at 80%. Then I get a second bag from another batch and it's actually better than the first bag and gives 38 ppg, but since I don't know this, I just take what Promash tells me (37 ppg) and all of a sudden my efficiency jumps up 2%. I didn't do anything special, I just got a higher yeilding grain and didn't account for it and got a correspondingly higher (but deceptive) efficiency. Actually, the efficiency didn't change at all. The same things works the other way when you get grain that's not so good. Maybe it got a little wet, or it's old, or the moisture content isn't exactly what it should be and all of a sudden your efficiency dips 5% because Promash says you should get 37 ppg but in reality, your grain is only capable of 35 ppg. It only takes a dip of 2 ppg to affect your efficiecy number by 5% or so, when in reality, your efficiency is exactly the same, you just didn't account for the lower yeilding grain.

If you use one kind of base malt all of the time, you can usually get a consistent efficiency which is really what you are after. If you switch malts often, you will likely see varying efficiencies and it is likely due to the varying extact potentials and the deviation from the published nominal values. Just food for thought.

I know I'm oversimplifying it, folks. But a large sampling of oversimplifications will still show a trend... :mug:

I guess I should've begun this thread with an asterisk*

*my results will vary.

I'm getting into the 90's with mine, Crankandstein CGM-2D
1332-P1010109.JPG

I've got the 3 roller model and it does a REALLY good job of separating the husk away from the starch. Plus, the husks are fairly intact so they make a great filter bed. I haven't had anything close to a stuck sparge since I got it.

My efficiencies run in the low 80's. My last beer I brewed (kolsch), at the end of the sparge I could see a whole lot of the tiny semi-germinated sprouts left behind. It looked a little bit like I had a bunch of maggots in the tun. Not much else left but a bunch of husks and the little white sprouts.

On beers in the 1.050-1.055 range, I typically get 80% efficiency with my single roller PhilMill I and batch sparging. I highly recommend getting a mill with adjustable rollers. You actually won't change it much once you get it dialed in to a setting that works for you, but it's better than being permanently stuck with the wrong setting.

When I go for higher gravities, my effciency does drop some. My last barleywine had an OG of 1.111 and my efficiency dropped to 69%. This was much more due to not sparging enough volume than to anything having to do with the crush.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

pjj2ba said:
I've got the 3 roller model and it does a REALLY good job of separating the husk away from the starch. Plus, the husks are fairly intact so they make a great filter bed. I haven't had anything close to a stuck sparge since I got it.

My efficiencies run in the low 80's.
I'm getting identical results with a two roller mill...

Chimone said:
I got 82% last time with my crankandstein.

That's what I got with my 3-roller, too. But I also built a whole new brew system at the same time, so it could be due to that too. I've only made 2 batches with the new setup, so I'm still dialing it in.

And yes, a 3 roller is way overkill, but that's what makes it fun.

One more nod to the Porkert.I get low to mid 80's consistently(batch sparge).I grind pretty darn fine,lots of flour,but mostly intact hulls also.No stuck sparge yet with SS braid.
Cheers:mug:

crazy......

normally my blondes are finished fermenting in 2-3 days. this supposed low gravity beer is on day 6 of fermention since my efficiency is so much better now. Just went home for lunch and its going....it's very close to being done but theres still slight movement in the airlock.

Ill rack in a day or two I guess

Man, it's been like...almost a month since I brewed. I know, I know. I still haven't gotten to use my new Barley Crusher.

74-78% using a pasta machine. I think I can hit 80% once I get my used to my system and get the crush, pH and temperatures right.

Back