Lemon Style Beers ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waunabeer

Reaction score
So I made up a 5 gal. batch of a Light Lemon Ale, about 5 weeks ago, and just moved it to a keg two days ago. After one day of carbonating it (I know, I know way too early) I decided to take a little taste just to see how it was (my goal was a summer shandy like lemon beer) and it tasted like lemon dish soap with alcohol in it. :drunk: My question is for those who have made lemon beers is: will it get better with carbonation or is my recipe flawed?

I zested and dried my own lemons and used 1 oz. during the last 10 min. of the boil and put 1 oz. in the secondary for 17 days. The rest of the recipe was a light ale from Midwest.

I know young beers don't tast nearly as good as a carbed beer, but it was nearly undrinkable. Any comments?

Fermented citrus juice often produces odd flavors and aromas. Use lemon zest or lemongrass - not the pith and flesh (if that's what the inside is called). Alternatively, you can make a Berliner Weisse and spike it with some lemon or lime juice when serving.

I used lemon zest (homemade and dried in the oven @ 200 F for 1.5 hrs.).

In the future, I'd hesitate to dry in the oven. A lot of the more volatile essential oils will be driven off that way. A lot of people will soak zest in a small amount of vodka or everclear to extract the flavors and aromas (think making limoncello) then add that to the beer to taste.

In the future, I'd hesitate to dry in the oven. A lot of the more volatile essential oils will be driven off that way. A lot of people will soak zest in a small amount of vodka or everclear to extract the flavors and aromas (think making limoncello) then add that to the beer to taste.

That's the way I go. I just strain it through a coffee filter and add the extract at kegging.

It works great with lime zest, too.

:rockin:

That's the way I go. I just strain it through a coffee filter and add the extract at kegging.

It works great with lime zest, too.

:rockin:

How many oz. of lemon extract/lemon zest do you guys recommend per 5 gal. batch?

How many oz. of lemon extract/lemon zest do you guys recommend per 5 gal. batch?

One of the many cool things about kegging is you can add more to taste.

It really depends on how much lemon taste you want. My advice, add half the zest/extract you THINK you want. Let it sit for a few days, taste, and add more if needed. You can add more, but you can't take it back out (duh).

I find that lime has a stronger flavor than lemon. For lemon, the zest of two large ones, seeped in an ounce or two of vodka, makes a good extract. For limes, about one and half large ones should do it.

:mug:

My question now is will it settle down and get better or is it always going to taste like pledge furniture polish?

Never used it myself, but I've heard Sorachi Ace can give a nice lemon aroma. Might want to consider hopping with that next time.

Well, it depends on why it tastes like furniture polish/pledge. My guess is that on top of a lemon flavor/aroma, you are detecting some fusel alcohols from a hot ferment, stressed yeast or a combo of both. What were you ferm temps? What yeast did you use? Did you use a starter? How did you oxygenage? If it was a hot ferment, fusels rarely go away, but can with time. If you did everything properly (controlled ferm temps, pitched proper amount of healthy yeast, oxygenated), then its just green beer paired with lemon and should fade over time.

Well, it depends on why it tastes like furniture polish/pledge. My guess is that on top of a lemon flavor/aroma, you are detecting some fusel alcohols from a hot ferment, stressed yeast or a combo of both. What were you ferm temps? What yeast did you use? Did you use a starter? How did you oxygenage? If it was a hot ferment, fusels rarely go away, but can with time. If you did everything properly (controlled ferm temps, pitched proper amount of healthy yeast, oxygenated), then its just green beer paired with lemon and should fade over time.

I used Wyyeast 1056 and it fermeneted between 65-70 F the entire time. The wort came in a little warm (about 80 F), but I cooled that down within 30 min. or so. The bubbler went crazy for a couple of days, so things seemed to be going good. I oxygenated by pouring between buckets and stirring vigorously for a few minutes before pitching yeast. Hopefully its just green and gets better with time. Pray for me. ;)

Sorachi Ace hops have a very lemony flavor to them. I just made a smash with them. Very tasty.

My first experience with them was at a beer dinner hosted by Garrett Oliver, his Sorachi Ace saison. I can't freakin wait to brew with that hop.

Damned fine post!

Back