Need help decoding recipe for Dark Owl Sweet Stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDirtySpoon

Reaction score
I would like to make https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/dark-owl-sweet-stout-55233/

I am having problems figuring out...

What yeast do you use?

What are the Fermentables?
7.00 British Two-row Pale (grain?)
1.00 British Crystal 50-60L (grain?)
1.00 Lactose (what is this?)
0.75 Roasted Barley (grain?)
0.50 British Pale Chocolate (grain?)

I am really trying to not look like a scrub when i go into the brew store.

Also I am planning on doing it in a 3 gallon carboy instead of a 5 gallon bucket. I am planning on doing smaller 2.5 gallon batches to start to play with different features of the beer to see what each thing does.

Should I just half the number of ingredients?
And what do i do with the yeast use the full amount for the 5 gallon?

ok..Lets start here. you might want to find an extract version of this if you dont know what some of these ingredients are

2-row pale is grain.
British Crystal 50-60 is grain
Lactose is basically milk sugar that is not fermented by ale yeast and adds creamy and sweetness to beer.
Roasted barley, exactly what it is barley grain that has been roasted dark.
Pale chocolate is grain also.

YOu can just half everything for the most part.
The whole amount of yeast will be fine and you will want probably a british ale yeast or a clean american yeast

Perfect!!!

I have done 5 batches of extract, and we just finished building our Mash Tun.

I have done a bunch of reading on the overall process, but do not know the ingredients yet.

It would be at the end of the boil. Do a little searching and you will find some other recipes that use lactose and just base what time you add it in off of all the other recipes, I have never used it and cant recall the timing on it.

I am going to use it for the first time soon. Since the lactose its not fermentable, it doesn't matter when you add it. I would recommend you add it with your priming sugar so it doesn't throw off your gravity readings.

Back