No yeast at bottom of Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
Hi,

I just starting testing my first ever batch of beer, an extract kit of "Bavarian Hefe Weizen" from Northern Brewer with liquid yeast and corn suger for priming. I left it in the primary for three weeks and it's been in the bottle for just over two weeks. It's carbonated and tastes pretty good, but there is no yeast on the bottom of any of the 5 bottles I've opened so far although it is slightly cloudy.

I'm wondering if I did something wrong in the process. As I said, I left it in the primary for 3 weeks, then I racked it to a bottling bucket leaving all the sediment/traub/yeast on the bottom. I DID wonder how there would be yeast in the bottle if I left it all behind, but thought that maybe there would still be enough in suspension and that THAT was what would fall out during bottle conditioning/carbonization.

The long and short of it is that I'm pleased with the result, but wonder if it could have been even better.

hefe yeasts strains are notorious for having poor flocculation, which is one of the reasons (the other being all the wheat) that they stay cloudy. You don't need a yeast cake in each bottle, it's not really going to make or break it.

Ok, thanks for the info. It's what I though but wanted to be sure.

Back