Should I repitch to ensure carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I've got a light cyser: OG 1.070, FG 0.998 at time of transfer. I placed it in secondary and it's been bulk aging for 6 months. I'd like to bottle half still and carb the other half.

My question is this. It's been 6 months aging, should I repitch yeast to ensure carbonation?

Thanks

It won't hurt. I personally have never re-pitched to carb, but the yeast have been in there for a while. If you can, try to pitch the same yeast you used to ferment.

From my point of view, you'll have to stabilize in order to prevent carbonation in the half you don't want carbonated. So far, all of my meads have been slightly carbonated.

It was at 0.998 when it went to secondary. Do you think that I'll have to stabilize it to keep from carbing?

In the still half, will there be anything left for the yeast to convert that they haven't converted in the past 6 months?

I have family who get migraines from sulfites (stabilizing agents) and would rather stay away from them.

Other than an original JAOM (Joes ancient orange mead) that I bottled, this is my first bottling of a mead or mead like drink. I haven't had a problem with carbonation of my JAOM even after 4 months in the bottle.

I'd say you've fermented fully if those gravity readings are accurate. prime it, and I would indeed re-pitch yeast, as the current yeast has probably hit its limit, and died off in the last 6 months.

even if it hasn't, its likely too dormant at this stage, with too much alcohol in solution, to restart itself to carbonate.

Back