American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think this would turn out alright if it were to by dry-hopped with a 1/2oz Centennial and a 1/2oz of Cascade on a 5gallon batch?

I've got a little leftovers and figured it might add a nice touch.

It can't hurt it. It would provide a more citrusy aroma.

Just kegged this last night and drew an early pint. Tastes great! Thanks Edwort, my gravity only went from 1.040 to 1.010 so it's a little lighter but is still very good and drinkable. Is there any way to make this more like a New Glarus Spotted Cow? Do they add flaked corn, because I think their brew is a little sweeter.

Thanks again!

After a week in the bottle I tried one last night. Turned out really well.
Very clear, with a medium yellow color. The mouth feel was really nice and full
which surprised me a little because with the pale color I was anticipating a beer with that much body. I added a half ounce of Goldings at flame out (just because) It was left in primary for 4 weeks and I used gelitan as clarifier.
My OG was 1.045 ( I didn't stir when I added sparge water:drunk:).
For my second AG I am pleased with the results.

Thanks for recipe.

Well I made this as my second all grain last Sunday. Today is the 7th day of fermentation (my first temp controlled one) and I drew a sample to check and see how it was going. It is right on 1.011, Im gonna wait a couple more days and check it again to be sure its stable. My question for you Ed, when you crash cool it, Ill do it in the primary since Im not kegging yet what temps to you shoot for to crash cool/clear it? And do you recommend waiting until I bottle to crash cool? Or crash cool for 10 days, bring back to ~70dF and then add priming sugar and bottle?

By the way, I drank the test sample and as a really green beer it is still the best I have made ever by a long shot. (havent tested the first AG yet either) But I was excited when I brewed this one, everything went so well. This I can promise will be regularly consumed in mein haus. SWMBO even agrees this will be a killer. Cant wait to see what it tastes like aged a few weeks and carbed.

I crash cool to about 35-38 then I keg.

How bout some bottlers chiming in. Do ya'll crash cool, then rack to bottling bucket for bottling, then storing the bottles at room temp for conditioning?

as a bottler, I can say that I do not have the capability to crash cool. I fermented in the primary for one week, then racked to secondary for another before bottling. All this happened at cool room temp, and all beer was consumed within a month of brew day. Very tasty indeed!!

Hi Ed,
I'm brewing this either later this week or next weekend. I have all the supplies, and I'm ready to go! It looks very tasty. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hi Ed,
I'm jus waiting for Cascade Hops to come to try this one. It have great compliments.
Although I wanted to make this recipe identical, I just have acess to Crystal malt 40L.
Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers

[sorry for my english]

My latest brew, and second Haus pale ale is on day 8 in the primary. Im going to name it Dirty pale ale. I name it that because I made a starter out of the yeast harvested from the first pale ale, and man, my 6.5 carboy looks like hell. I have yeast stuck to the sides, I have some floater whole hops in there, and some sinkers too. There is some wierd looking trub in there from the irish moss I put in. The fermentation was EXPLOSIVE though didnt blow off or anyting, lots of action. I added a 1/4 ounce more hops at each addition, and going to dryhop with .5-.75 ounce cascade leafs I got left.

Thanks for the great Recipe!
I brewed this as my first AG on Friday (10/18) and had no problems at all.
I'm going to bottle it and don't know how long and at what temperature i should store the bottles?
At what °F do you keep your kegs?
I was planning on keeping it at least 3-4 Weeks in the bottles.

Hi Ed,
I'm jus waiting for Cascade Hops to come to try this one. It have great compliments.
Although I wanted to make this recipe identical, I just have acess to Crystal malt 40L.
Do you have any suggestions?
[sorry for my english]

Make it with about 6 oz. of the Crystal 40L. It will be a bit darker, but should turn out tasty!

I crash cool to about 35-38 then I keg.

How bout some bottlers chiming in. Do ya'll crash cool, then rack to bottling bucket for bottling, then storing the bottles at room temp for conditioning?

I am a bottler. I usually do a week to 10 days primary. Then do a secondary for a week or 2. I rack the beer from secondary to bottle bucket and bottle with 3/4 cup of corn sugar. I let the bottles condition 2-3 weeks at room tempeture 60-70 degrees in my basement before drinking them. I currently have no way of crash cooling so I cant tell you if that works. If you want to clear it up, use a little gelatin as described in other posts (use advanced search). But be forwarned it will knock down alot of the yeast, and may effect flavor in a yeast sensative beer. The beer will still bottle carbonate if you use a teaspoon of gelatin. Any gelatin use I do is in secondary and for no more than 5 days.

I have a large chest freezer, but between buying batches and paying bills, I havnt bought a temp controller yet. If I get the temp controller I will try a crash cool and try to bottle. I dont see why it wouldnt work, but have never tried it. Then again after I buy the temp controller, I will probably buy some kegs as they are cheaper than the temp controller and I already have a large full C02 tank.

I have a temp controlled freezer but I am still bottling. I guess for this one Ill just let it sit at ~68 for an extra week or 2 and then bottle as normal. Once Ive bottle conditioned a couple weeks Ill crash cool the bottles for a week before I start consuming. Gonna be tough to let this one sit another month but I have an IPA Im about to bottle and about 5 gallons of Dunkel and English Brown left to hold me over. Guess its time to brew more haus pale ale cause I think this first batch will be gone before a new one is ready.

Well, Monday I crash cooled after 10 days fermenting....

DSCN3202.jpg

Had a little mishap with it.. A little vodka from my airlock dribbled into the carboy when it sucked back, after I placed it in the cooler. But, from what I've read here I shouldn't worry...

Yesterday I Kegged, set pressure, and put back into cooler......

DSCN3204.jpg

I did have to sample it.. :D Cold and flat, but very tasty...

This one should turn out nice :mug:

Thanks..... Can't wait till next Wed. :mug:

I don't recall seeing whether you used any priming sugar going to keg or not.

I didn't use any....just wanted to ask you to make sure.

I don't recall seeing whether you used any priming sugar going to keg or not.

Nope. That's one of the benefits of forced carbonation. No sediment from conditioning.

Once the keg is carbed and aged a bit, the beer will drop very clear.

Ed- What was the color on the vienna you used. Brewed this about a week and a half ago, its tasting great but yours appears to be darker than mine.

My vienna was from AHS and it is also noticably lighter than yours.

Good question. I have no idea. Mine is from a 55# sack of Vienna from Best Malz of Heidelberg, Germany.

Got any pics?

Ed-
I will gladly pour some tonight and post pics for you. It's only been about 1.5 weeks since I brewed it and I know its not fully conditioned yet but its just so damn good. Prob my best tasting AG beer yet.

I did a partial mash version of this tonight with 5.5 lbs of grain (2 of Vienna, .5 of Crystal 40) and 3 lbs light DME.

I have a question though. When I put these ingredients into Beer Calculus with the same hops (1 oz Cascade 6.4% at 60, 1/2 at 30, 1/4 at 15, 1/4 at 2) from the recipe I get IBU of something like 27. I am curious why the difference?

Hello Ed,

My pale ale has a kind of tart finish (maybe it is just bitter but with only 2 oz of hops I'm surprised). I'm thinking maybe I sparge too hot at around 180 and it is getting astringent from tannins. How likely is that? What else might give it this bite. It is not like hop bitter at the beginning, it is in the finish. This is very drinkable but I'm just trying to figure out how to make better beer. Any ideas?

PS: should have mentioned that is a fly sparge that takes about 37-40 minutes to get 7 gallons total from the MLT so I"m thinking the 180 drops a fair amount as it pushed the 152 water through.

Well, I am in secondary with my second batch of Haus Pale ale. I was a little disappointed with my first attempt. This was my fault and no disrespect to your recipe, more my water and racking procedures to blame. I had weak fermentation, real cloudy beer, and lots of sediment. I also thought it could use a little more hops. So I made it again, I added about .25 ounce more hops per schedule, and dry hopped it with .75 ounce cascades. I made a yeast starter out of the slurry I harvested from the first beer (which was my first all grain) and fermentation was a blast off. I named it dirty pale ale due to all the yeast stuck to my fermenter. I used some irish moss in attempt to clear it, I added gelatin to secondary in attempt to clear it, and I think this will come out completely awsome.

Image of Dirty pale ale, gelatin - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Picture184.jpg

This is a pic of my dry hopping secondary. 72 hours after racking, 24 hours after gelatin. Hopefully that gelatin knocks out that haze so the rest looks like the top. The pics dont do it justice, I can read my ale pail through the top 1/4 of that secondary. I opened the window to drop temps in the room some, so hopefully it clears real good, its about 66 in there now.

After a week under pressure, we broke into the keg for a taste.....

OMG......:rockin:

That beer tastes great!

It didn't come out crystal clear, I'm sure another week or two will help that.

Ours came out a bit stonger than it should have....No prob :drunk:

We've allready decided to brew another, except this time we'll tone down the grain bill to the original recipe.

:mug:

I:D i am rousing some white labs london ale yeast and was looking for a recipe and i think this will do the trick!:D

what do you think of the yeast with this recipe?:confused:

Hello Ed,

My pale ale has a kind of tart finish (maybe it is just bitter but with only 2 oz of hops I'm surprised). I'm thinking maybe I sparge too hot at around 180 and it is getting astringent from tannins. How likely is that? What else might give it this bite. It is not like hop bitter at the beginning, it is in the finish. This is very drinkable but I'm just trying to figure out how to make better beer. Any ideas?

PS: should have mentioned that is a fly sparge that takes about 37-40 minutes to get 7 gallons total from the MLT so I"m thinking the 180 drops a fair amount as it pushed the 152 water through.

Disregard all the above. A couple more days in the keg and this is my best yet.

I needed to be patient...

Thanks Ed!

Disregard all the above. A couple more days in the keg and this is my best yet.

I needed to be patient...

Thanks Ed!

I was about to reply about your "green" beer, but you figured it out already.

Congrats! Patience rewards those who wait. :D

I:D i am rousing some white labs london ale yeast and was looking for a recipe and i think this will do the trick!:D

what do you think of the yeast with this recipe?:confused:

It will probably make a good beer, but the yeast profile will make a completely different beer. London Ale is dry, malty ale yeast. It provides a complex, oakey ester character to your beer, while Nottingham is pretty neutral and it well attenuate better. My last batch went down to 1.007 FG.

Thanks! Do the dry yeasts typically attenuate better than the liquids?

No, not necessarily. It depends on the yeast. Each one will list their particular attributes. It's good to ask here on the forum about a new yeast to get feedback on results other members may have had.

Just brewed up a batch of this bad boy. Have people found they needed a blowoff tube? Mine is pretty cruddy and I'd rather not use it or make a run to the LHBS if I don't have to. I've got about 5.25 gals in an ale pale and plan to ferment at 67F or so.

ETA: I didn't rehydrate the yeast. I just pitched the dry yeast straight from the packet.

I finally got a chance to brew a batch this morning. This was my 3rd all grainer and I hit 1.052, everything went well. You definitely get better with each batch!

I'll be away at training for 2 weeks, so the wait won't seem as long...

Back