first time using Nottingham yeast...is this normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
Is it normal and should i be concerned with contamination ???

ForumRunner_20121008_111130.png

Are you telling me i should i use a blow off tube anytime i use Nottingham or in general ?

LoL! Looks like the yeast is doing it's thing - probably a little better than you expected! I generally start with a blow-off tube, for the first couple days, to prevent that sort of problem, THEN switch to an air lock! I would think, for whatever that's worth, that as long as its still fermenting vigorously, you should be able to swap that airlock out with no worries...

Not to be an insult, but you have 3 other batches in the background of that picture, one of which seems like the Krausen went into the airlock, how do you not know this? :)

You will be fine, as long as the airlock had sanitisor or sanitized water in it. Like Shack01 said, if you are going to fill your carboys that full, but a blowoff on it and then an airlock when the Krausen dies back down.

Morkin said:
Not to be an insult, but you have 3 other batches in the background of that picture, one of which seems like the Krausen went into the airlock, how do you not know this? :)

You will be fine, as long as the airlock had sanitisor or sanitized water in it. Like Shack01 said, if you are going to fill your carboys that full, but a blowoff on it and then an airlock when the Krausen dies back down.

This is the first time I've used Nottingham and the first time this has happened to me...as for the other three they got close to the top but never overfilled

Notty is some pretty volatile stuff. After almost having a fermenter explosion, I only use it occasionally on low abv batches.

I generally start with a blow-off tube, for the first couple days, to prevent that sort of problem, THEN switch to an air lock!

Me too. Each fermentation is different, so you never know when you are going to have one blow off. I have had low gravity brews go crazy and blow off and high gravity ones just chug along.

I often just leave to blow off tube in place for the whole time. It actually is just a big airlock.

If you want to avoid the entire mess that Nottingham produces (especially above 64-65 degrees) increase the headspace in the fermenter to allow for the krausen. I use a bucket that allows plenty of room and don't worry about oxygen because of the CO2 produced in the fermentation. 5 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallon bucket usually provides enough room for krausen.

bosco

Use a blow off tube for the start of every brew. Some yeasts are more prone to blowoff but any might. If the airlock gets clogged it could blow out with enough force to splatter the ceiling with krausen.

Better to install the tube and not need it than to have to clean the ceiling!

If you want to avoid the entire mess that Nottingham produces (especially above 64-65 degrees) increase the headspace in the fermenter to allow for the krausen. I use a bucket that allows plenty of room and don't worry about oxygen because of the CO2 produced in the fermentation. 5 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallon bucket usually provides enough room for krausen.

bosco

Usually being the operative word.

Big_Cat said:
Is Nottingham the only yeast that does this?

No, I have had it with a stout in which I used 1056. The yeast only did it with the stout, my IPAs and others were good without the blow off.

+1 for always starting with a blow-off tube. Those darn yeast refuse to follow linear dynamics.

How long does the blow off usually last? I'm hoping that when i get home tonight from work i won't have a huge mess

To bad i can't post video lol i just got home after trying to find a one inch outside diameter hose at the hardware store without luck so i changed my airlock with a clean one after sanitation and as soon as i placed it it began bubbling and hizzing lol i guess this will teache a lesson to always have a blow tube available ...below is a picture of the clean airlock that has already started to get dirty lol

ForumRunner_20121008_184114.png

S-04 does this to me sometimes as we'll. that yeast is a beast. Blow off tube all the way with the tube into a gallon milk jug half filled with star san works great for me.

Last night before bed i replaced the airlock once again with a sanitized one and this morning everything looks great..still clean and bubbling along very nice ... I'm happy now but i will still get a blow tube

ForumRunner_20121009_093504.png

If you back the camera up a bit to show more of the entire carboy it might give a better idea of what's going on in there.

bosco

Back