Bottling for competition when kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
I bought a keg this last spring and I have been using that. But I also want to have a six pack bottled so that I can send the beer to competitions. What is a good method for doing this?

Sure, a Blickmann Beer Gun would be great, but I would rather not spend that much at the moment.

Do I just fill bottles from keg (just after kegging), then add priming sugar of some amount to the bottles?

Surely some people must do this. Thanks!

That sounds like an excellent process! Thanks so much. I'm going to use that.

I shove a 8-10" length of siphon tubing on the end of my cobra/picnic tap and cap on foam. Filling from the bottom is the best plan to reduce foaming and oxy-absorbing caps. I've never had a single note back on a scoresheet indicating oxidation when I submitted a keg conditioned beer to contest in bottles.

As I said, years. Unless your capping job is bad, which is a problem no matter the carb'ing method.

I have stouts that are 4 years old - still solid

One other option, depending on how much you have in your fermenter, is to fill up a six pack from the fermenter and then drop a Cooper's carb tab into each bottle, then put it away to condition just like any other bottle conditioned beer, then keg up the rest. I've found, with my last several batches, I've had enough to get a full 5 gallons into the keg and still get another 4-6 bottles to boot. It's nice to have the carb tabs on hand, rather than dumping that four pack or sixer down the drain.

I shove a 8-10" length of siphon tubing on the end of my cobra/picnic tap and cap on foam. Filling from the bottom is the best plan to reduce foaming and oxy-absorbing caps. I've never had a single note back on a scoresheet indicating oxidation when I submitted a keg conditioned beer to contest in bottles.

Do you also have the stopper for the top of the bottle to keep the pressure up or do you just fill it from the bottom at really low pressure?

I shoved a bottling wand in the end of the tube from the autosiphon. Fill my 5-10 beers then yank the bottling wand off and finish filling the keg. Those bottles each get a coopers drop and a cap, and your good to go.

cooper said:
Do you also have the stopper for the top of the bottle to keep the pressure up or do you just fill it from the bottom at really low pressure?

The latter. No counter pressure involved.

I'll try that! I have about a gallon left in the keg that I dont want to drink in one setting and I need the keg pretty soon. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back