Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CreamyGoodness said:
I think I already said Bard's gluten free... not sure...

Also there's a green bottle written in a mystery language at the local craft beer store that tastes like kikoman's soy sauce... really nasty stuff.

Creamy are you sure you weren't in the wrong aisle? Maybe it was soy sauce haha

freebeernhotwings said:
most of the ridiculous crap dogfish head turns out (like they're show and pioneer spirit though).

DFH has always been about creative and unique blends, you don't like a single beer they brew?

chinkson said:
Creamy are you sure you weren't in the wrong aisle? Maybe it was soy sauce haha

DFH has always been about creative and unique blends, you don't like a single beer they brew?[/QUOTE

Wish i could remember the few DFH's I tried but cant, what I do remember is the overkill "accents"....just a little too off center and not beholding enough to their type.

I did forget one however, its brewed somewhere near Lexington, KY and the name says it all Horse Piss (which I'd rather drink).

This stuff. It exists in South America. I was down there for work and it seemed to be the only option anywhere that I went beer wise. I think its only 4% maybe a tad less. Drink 8 and you just get a gross metallic taste in your mouth and nothing else. Polar Ice= :mad:

1861375396_37b79f893f.jpg

Warm Tecate, trying to enjoy the company of my soon-to-be father in law. He put lime and salt in it. WHAT THE EFF?! Is it normal to drink beer so bad you have to modify it with salt?

I had a Harpoon IPA last night that was downright aweful. I usually like the beer, but hadn't had any in a while. The stuff was on sale at the local market so I bought a twelver. I hope the other 11 are not this bad, but I do not hold out hope. Really bad oxidation coupled with mustiness from clearly poorly stored malt resulted in a peat moss and cardboard nightmare. It was also missing its characteristic hop flavor too. It was like a mild pale ale gone horribly wrong.

Hmmmm...lets see theres stroh's (fire brewed) lucky lager, schlitz, mickeys, icehouse, and most recently I tried something nasty called " head turner" or something like that.

Ya steel reserve really does stink. But if you go to Oklahoma it's not bad cause they can only make a 3.2% and its good. But for me miller high life is crap. I can't drink one with out having astma attack. I have read they put detergent in it to give it head. I will never drink a miller product again.

I had a Harpoon IPA last night that was downright aweful. I usually like the beer, but hadn't had any in a while. The stuff was on sale at the local market so I bought a twelver. I hope the other 11 are not this bad, but I do not hold out hope. Really bad oxidation coupled with mustiness from clearly poorly stored malt resulted in a peat moss and cardboard nightmare. It was also missing its characteristic hop flavor too. It was like a mild pale ale gone horribly wrong.

I tried the next beer, and it was better. Still not the beer I remember but very drinkable. I dont like quoting myself, but I wanted to say it was a bottle specific problem. Prolly a bad cap. Still tho, its not the floral spicy East Coast IPA I remember.

Ya steel reserve really does stink. But if you go to Oklahoma it's not bad cause they can only make a 3.2% and its good. But for me miller high life is crap. I can't drink one with out having astma attack. I have read they put detergent in it to give it head. I will never drink a miller product again.
I was in a safety professional seminar with a brewer from Miller once. I do know they take pride in the lack of things like detergents in their beer. Their whole claim to fame with MHL is the clear bottle to show that they do not do that stuff...to which I asked if they were high relying on a freaking supermarket to protect their brews from UV to prevent skunking. He said he was going to pass this on. To this day they do not extend their sixers packaging to protect their brew. I dunno. Maybe the corporate types dont listen to THEIR employees either, even if they are brewers.

barneygumble said:
I tried the next beer, and it was better. Still not the beer I remember but very drinkable. I dont like quoting myself, but I wanted to say it was a bottle specific problem. Prolly a bad cap. Still tho, its not the floral spicy East Coast IPA I remember.

I was in a safety professional seminar with a brewer from Miller once. I do know they take pride in the lack of things like detergents in their beer. Their whole claim to fame with MHL is the clear bottle to show that they do not do that stuff...to which I asked if they were high relying on a freaking supermarket to protect their brews from UV to prevent skunking. He said he was going to pass this on. To this day they do not extend their sixers packaging to protect their brew. I dunno. Maybe the corporate types dont listen to THEIR employees either, even if they are brewers.

Many large breweries use iso-hop extract for bittering. Miller in particular uses it exclusively for most of their beers, making it impossible to skunk.

Kasteel Rouge. One of the most disgusting things I've ever put in my mouth. I swear. I was barely able to finish it!

Worse beer ever.

1298847292-beer_30.jpg

I don't know if it was the purple on the label that tricked my mind, but I swear this stuff had a nasty grape aftertaste.

Many large breweries use iso-hop extract for bittering. Miller in particular uses it exclusively for most of their beers, making it impossible to skunk.

How long have they done this for? This conversation happened in the late 80's or early 90's when I first discovered home brewing.

I've had a ton of bad 40s back in my college days... stuff that would make me welcome a Beast Ice. More recently, it had to be Shipyard's Pumpkin beer. I'm not a big fan of pumpkin brews, but decided to do a pumpkin beer exchange anyway. I ended up with 4 of them... made it halfway through 1 and couldn't give the rest to anyone in the group. Tried another thinking it was a bad bottle, but no such luck. Dumped the other 2. I don't recall much as this was a couple years ago, but it was like drinking overcarbonated soda water with pumpkin spice flavoring that just didn't work.

The worst beer I've had in recent memory (from a brewery that should do better) was Upslope White. I had it on tap at a restaurant that moves a lot of beer. It tasted like it was fermented in a barn during July. The ethyl acetate taste was close to unbearable. It was truly an awful beer. They're a local brewery that I've generally found hit or miss.

I've had a lot of beers I couldn't finish but these have to be the worst.
Worst: Sam Adams Triple Bock
Runners up: Avery Samael, DFH Midas Touch, Saint Arnold Elissa IPA, Cave Creek Chili Beer
I'm not a fan of mega brews, but I'd take a Coors over any of those beers any day.

OK so this one almost saddens me to say. I absolutely love this brewery, and I was so excited for the crazy adjuncts but! Sad to say, this was the first nonspoiled beer I've ever been able to not finish. Rogue, you've really let me down, and borderline disgusted me, with your Bacon Maple Ale.

ForumRunner_20120515_005558.jpg

Blech. Not to mention they charge $12.99 per bottle at BevMo. Huge letdown. What could I expect I guess?

OK so this one almost saddens me to say. I absolutely love this brewery, and I was so excited for the crazy adjuncts but! Sad to say, this was the first nonspoiled beer I've ever been able to not finish. Rogue, you've really let me down, and borderline disgusted me, with your Bacon Maple Ale.

View attachment 61431

Blech. Not to mention they charge $12.99 per bottle at BevMo. Huge letdown. What could I expect I guess?

I had this a month ago and it is awful.

View attachment 61431

You know... I am tempted to buy this just to see if its as awful as it sounds. Its been quite sometime since I have had a truly terrible beer. Even the Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer was passable*.

*not passably good, but passable.

Buckhorn Beer. One of my compadres dad owned a Lone Star distributing co. They couldn't sell the dented cans and any time I helped him out at the shop, lots of dented cans were found? Lots of Buckhorn beer cans were found with dents one day. My head still has a dent! Did they use the water straight from the River Walk?

I've had a lot of beers I couldn't finish but these have to be the worst.
Worst: Sam Adams Triple Bock
Runners up: Avery Samael, DFH Midas Touch, Saint Arnold Elissa IPA, Cave Creek Chili Beer
I'm not a fan of mega brews, but I'd take a Coors over any of those beers any day.

Did you get a bad bottle of Elissa or something, cause that's a really good IPA

I don't know if it was a bad bottle or a good bottle, but I do know I only drank one bottle out of the six pack. It had an almost chemical taste from the amount and type of hops they use. I do have to say that I'm not an IPA fan to begin with, but I did enjoy a couple IPAs from stone. So I assumed Elissa isn't a good example of the style. It was my first IPA and I didn't try another one for at least four years because of that beer. But, tastes differ from person to person.

After sitting through my brother in laws high school graduation (congrats to him for doing it in 5 years) for 3 hours, then spending 45 minutes getting out of the parking lot I needed a beer. Ordered a Shipyard IPA but ended up getting the Apple spring seasonal beer. Very bad after taste and being the wrong beer back it went.

Worst beer Ive ever had commercially produced (albeit at a microbrewery) was Cooper's Cave Ale in Glens Falls, NY. Tasted like a wet cardboard box that had been sitting in a basement. I tried their IPA too and it had that same off flavor. Not sure if they had sanitation problems or what but it was terrible. I would drink a bud any day over that stuff.:eek:

Krone chopp: the royal beer of Paraguay

This was a ginseng beer in cans.

In college the beer store had this on clearance ( wonder why). As poor college kids we relished a sale, and bought five cases, sight unseen.

Well, the plan did't work so well.

In true optimistic spirit we devised two really successful uses for this horrible, horrible beer.

1. We would pour it on the doorsteps of enemies.

2. Some would always be available to guests. When moochers would try to bum a free beer we would always oblige, "Sure grab a green can!"

Alba%20Scots%20Pine%20Ale.jpg

I've tried quite a few historical beers, and some I love, like Fraoch heather ale. But this beer is horrid. I'm trying to choke it down without vomiting. The only good thing is that it works like a mouth wash...my breath is amazingly sweet.....but I want to puke....

I've never wanted to dump a beer before in my entire drinking career.

Great mouthwash, lousy beer.

Revvy said:
I've tried quite a few historical beers, and some I love, like Fraoch heather ale. But this beer is horrid. I'm trying to choke it down without vomiting. The only good thing is that it works like a mouth wash...my breath is amazingly sweet.....but I want to puke....

I've never wanted to dump a beer before in my entire drinking career.

Great mouthwash, lousy beer.

But BA calls it "good"

image-12809488.jpg

i had one the other week by a brewery called Yeastie Boys. it was made with 100% peat smoked malt. first beer i've been unable to finish

Back