Beersmith TIME question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GulfCoastGirl

Reaction score
So I'm reading some of the sample recipes in Beersmith and I'm stumped on this one (and couldn't find anything in the help file).

This recipe is a 60 minute boil.

In the picture below, where the red arrow is, does this mean:

1. Add the honey at 15 minutes into the boil (boiling for 45 minutes) or
2. Add the honey at 45 minutes into the boil, (boiling for 15 minutes)

beersmith1.png

Sorry if this is a stupid question... obviously I'm a noob :eek:

if you boil honey for 45 minutes, almost all of the honey taste is gone. i use it 15 minutes left, so there is some flavor left

if you boil honey for 45 minutes, almost all of the honey taste is gone. i use it 15 minutes left, so there is some flavor left

So would you agree with the fist poster that the INTENT for the software is that the time listed is the actual cook time, not the input time, and this recipe probably should have that entry as 15 in that box?

I'm mostly trying to understand the software, not overly concerned with this particular recipe

This is a very good question. Convention would have it mean add at 45 minutes into the boil (such as you'd see with hop additions).

I'd certainly like to see clarification.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Wouldn't "convention" mean that was actually "45 minutes left to the boil"?

Cheers!

So I'm reading some of the sample recipes in Beersmith and I'm stumped on this one (and couldn't find anything in the help file).

This recipe is a 60 minute boil.

In the picture below, where the red arrow is, does this mean:

1. Add the honey at 15 minutes into the boil (boiling for 45 minutes) or
2. Add the honey at 45 minutes into the boil, (boiling for 15 minutes)

beersmith1.png

Sorry if this is a stupid question... obviously I'm a noob :eek:

In this case Beersmith is telling you to add the honey with 45-minutes remaining in the boil. Curious though as most, if not all, of the flavor will be boiled away if it is boiled for that long.

Beersmith does have an article about brewing with honey which sounds like it would be a better approach if you want to preserve the honey flavor. I've also added honey with 5-minutes boil time remaining and the beer turned out great with a nice, subtle honey flavor. :)

That is the time it is boiled for. If you want to confirm this for yourself simply plug it in at 15 min and 45 min and check which one has a higher IBU level. The more sugar in the boil the lower your hop utilization, so a 45 minute addition of honey would result in a lower IBU number than a 15 minute addition of honey.

Bottom line, the honey addition in that recipe is not optimal. Might have been a typo, who knows.

When I add honey it's always very close to flame-out. There's no good reason to add it any earlier...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back